Is it me or...

I know I'm getting up there in years, but is the writing on semiconductors getting fainter and fainter? I have to drag everything under the microscope just to read the markings. Even on DIPs for christ's sake.

WTF - are the chip makers actually saving money by doing this?

Reply to
JW

Their sideline is selling magnifying glasses to us kids with old eyes.

Don

Reply to
Don Bowey

You're correct.

Many of them are actually now laser etched rather than printed to help avoid counterfeiting. It's much less visible.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I was told that the marking technique they now use is better for automated placement equipment that has automated optical scans.

I agree it still sucks - can only read the numbers when you have them at *just* the right angle, with just the right amount of light, just the right amount of magnification.

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

"Eeyore" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@REMOVETHIS.hotmail.com...

Specifically, to prevent people from wiping it off and writing higher specifications (e.g., industrial vs. commercial temperature, or higher clock speed), right?

Reply to
mc

Or just offering counterfeits generally. It's pretty difficult to counterfeit laser etched marking. Counterfeit semis are a big issue.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

semiconductors

yeah the angle has to be just right, and if its been knocking about in a parts bin for a while or had a greasy finger on it, ... it seems like theyr using black lettering sometimes

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

Sometimes, a light smear of white heatsink goop makes the letters show up better. A little. Slightly. Sometimes.

Tim

--
Deep Fryer: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

"Tim Williams" wrote in news:tJwFg.93$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe04.lga:

Nice trick. :)

Another is angled light, shortwave, so a bright blue LED. Cowl it so you can't see any direct light off it. The colour isn't that important, but brightness is.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan