Query on temp sensors

I was wondering if anyone is aware of chips which have onboard temp
sensors, of the 8 pin variety.  I haven't found any.  I don't really
think that we'll find one with the 0.5-1.0C accuracy that we are
looking for either, but that's just me.

Barring that, has anyone tried the Nat. Semi 1626 ? This looks
reasonably small and should work well with a 8 pin PIC (w/ onboard
ADC). The application if fairly simple, but we do need a fairly high
accuracy of under 1 deg C.  All suggestions, nonsolictations, and
experiences welcome.

Thanks!

IITM

Re: Query on temp sensors
Try DS1620, DS1820 from (formerly Dallas) MAXIM semiconductors.
The 1620 and the 1820 will give you 0.1 deg resolution with a conversion
rate of 2/sec

regards
/jan

Newsbeitrag: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Re: Query on temp sensors

Resolution is not the same as accuracy, their accuracy is about 2 degrees.

[snip]

Mostafa

Mostafa Kassem
http://www.hasata.ca
Reply to: M DOT Kassem AT ieee DOT org

Re: Query on temp sensors

conversion

degrees.

Most of the 18x20's claim .5C accuracy, the 1821claims 1C.

michael brown

Re: Query on temp sensors

I don't quite see why a simple Dallas temperature sensor like the
DS1820 family or similar wouldn't fulfill this requirement --- but
that may well be caused by the requirement being rather vague...

So: what kind of "chip" are you asking for?  Your way of speaking
about it "having" an onboard sensors seems strange --- maybe what
you're really looking for is a chip that *is* a PCB-mountable
temperature sensor in a 8-pin housing?

Re: Query on temp sensors

For example, Analog Devices AD7415.

If you'd like also humidity, try SHT-11 from Sensirion
(<http://www.sensirion.com/ ).

HTH

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio @ iki fi

Re: Query on temp sensors

Others have recommended to Dallas/Maxim parts.  The Dallas/Maxim DS18B20
claims to be accurate to +-0.5C over -10 to +85C, but it is spec'ed to
report -55C to +125C with reduced accuracy in the extremes.  What
temperature range do you need?

Thad

Re: Query on temp sensors
On 28 Aug 2003 06:29:34 -0700, the renowned

Have you looked at the LM92?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: Query on temp sensors
I  have used the LM34 for about 15 years for remote energy products, analog
output fed into a PIC, works for me...

The Dallas 1620 series are digital types.

need more info to peg it down....

hth
jay

Re: Query on temp sensors

I like the LM75, see
http://www.hanssummers.com/electronics/equipment/riskometer /. It has I2C
interface, I am reading 8 of them on the same bus, via the PC parallel port
(see also http://www.hanssummers.com/electronics/clocks/matrix/index.htm )