QSFP

Hi,

I am working on a design that requires multiple SFP transceivers. I have read at

that a QSFP module will be available in the near future. This type of device would make my design much simpler and free up valuable board space. I am wondering whether any of the readers of this group have any insight on these developments.

When do you expect QSFP devices to become available. What distances will be achievable initially. Will specs be similar to current SFP but in a different package? Any insider info would be great.

Reply to
blah

I hadn't heard of this optical module variant before. After a quick read of the MSA site it looks like all of the major optical vendors are present, but that this work only started in March 2005. The press release states that vendors expect to start shipping product in 1H06. They have very limited info on the actual implementation standard.

One item that concerns me is that fiber plug looks like it will be a bundle of four instead of individual links. If this is accurate it will really limit adoption as these standards (GigE, FC-1, FC-2, FC-4, etc...) are used for point to point links (switches, routers, hard drives, etc...) and not in a bundling approach.

Ed

Reply to
Ed McGettigan