ov7725

I am trying to make sense of the datasheet for the OV7725. In particular, I am trying to understand the HSTART, HSIZE, VSTRT, VSIZE, HOutSize, VOutSize, and HREF registers. I understand generally what these registers control, but I am perplexed by some of the defaults. So, e.g., the defaults in HSTART for VGA and QVGA is 26 and 3F. What is the relationship between these two numbers? Also, in VSTRT, the defaults for VGA and QVGA are 7 and 3. Why should the default for QVGA be smaller? I hope someone out there has some experience with this sensor or with omnivision sensors generally. Here is the data sheet:

Thanks so much!

tblackson

um, didn't you sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement to get this data sheet? Posting it for all the world to see certainly would violate the NDA. That said, calculate the optical center of the image in both cases and you'll see where the numbers come from. Hint: it doesn't move between the 2 modes.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

It took me about 4 minutes with Google to find a copy of the OVT7655 data sheet at

No NDA required.

My experience has been that OmniVision doesn't answer tech support questions even if you do have an NDA in place. I've got data sheets specifically watermarked for my company, but they still didn't answer my questions. My personal suspicion is that there are only a handful of Omnivision engineers that really understand the inner workings of these sensors and that they are busy working on the next version. Perhaps Apple gets answers more easily---but then I heard a rumor that the newer IPhones and IPods may not be using Omnivision cameras.

Most of the code I've seen for these cameras involves setting up about 140 registers---only a few of which are decently documented in the data sheets. The first thing to do is to write an app for your system that allows you to change registers through a user interface that doesn't require reprogramming and reloading the code.

Mark Borgerson

Reply to
Mark Borgerson

Nice to see we still have innocence to lose ... :-). I have lost - sadly - more of mine and I suspect the reason why cameras, wifi and other newish peripherals are not documented for mortals is a result of a dedicated, not so cheap effort to keep the club closed. "Beer only for members of the trade union", to use a famous Ilf and Petrov quote :D .

Dimiter

dp

particular,

registers

relationship

QVGA

someone

sensors

Thanks for the reply. I bought the module from Surveyor Corporation. The first thing I did was look online for the data sheet. After a little searching, I found the link I mentioned. I know nothing about a "Non-Disclosure Agreement." Thanks too for the hint. But it is pretty cryptic, at least to me. The data sheet specifies the array center. Does this have anything to do with your hint? More information would be greatly appreciated!

tblackson

particular,

registers

relationship

QVGA

someone

sensors

Thanks for that. I found the data sheet in the way you did. I am not sure I understand your "first thing." I can communicate with the sensor and change the registers. This does, though, require that I reprogram and reload the code. Why is this an issue?

tblackson

His (Mark's) comment was intended as, "build this TOOL that you can use to explore the UNDOCUMENTED relationships between and consequences of changes to particular register values".

(apologies to Mark if I have misstated his intent)

Reply to
Don Y

My experience with Omnivision sensors you need to be Omnipotent, Telpathis, Psychic and read the whole data sheet several times to work out EACH relationship. Some tweaks will not always be obvious as some registers only have a noticeable effect when three other registers are manipulated as well.

    PC Services
 Timing Diagram Font
  GNU H8 - compiler & Renesas H8/H8S/H8 Tiny
 For those web sites you hate
Reply to
Paul

Anyone know what Bob has in mind?