OT, sorry, simple Windoze GUI

I've got a little 8051 project, in C that does very simple things
eg
wait for Uart
read ADC
add offset from eeprom
load DAC
stuff a string into a LCD

Nothing complicated. (I'm really an analogue guy at heart, just doing
a bit of 8051 C when required)

But I'm getting fed up with using windoze terminal or even procomm to
set up some eeprom values.

I've just loaded microsoft VB6 learning edition, (which I bought 4
years ago, thankfully unused until now)

I tried to make a little 5 button VB program to chat down the serial
port, but its seems I need "the professional VB package" to talk to
the comms port

Is there a simple way to make a elementary GUI on a XP machine that
doesnt have a steep learning curve and can talk to the serial port

I've googled for at least 3 hours, any advice appreciated, and
apologies for mentioning micro$oft in comp.arch.embedded

martin

Re: OT, sorry, simple Windoze GUI

Have you checked into Qt?  I don't know if there is a windoze version of
this or not, but I've tinkered with it and the learning curve is minimal.  I
never used this package to do I/O with a serial port, but how tough could it
be?  Try googling "Qt" or "Qt toolkit" and look for a windoze package.

Re: OT, sorry, simple Windoze GUI
On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 09:32:38 -0500, in comp.arch.embedded "PabloRena

Looks impressive, but with the amount of software I write, a bit OTT

Qt License Pricing
License Pricing (per developer)
                     Console          Light             Desktop
One Platform   EUR1420    EUR1590    EUR2630

martin

Re: OT, sorry, simple Windoze GUI

Have you looked at http://www.trolltech.com/download/qt/windows.html ?
Qt is released as GPL for Windows too, so if you don't want to hide your
source code this maybe an alternative.

Sebastian

Re: OT, sorry, simple Windoze GUI
On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 20:26:26 +0200, in comp.arch.embedded Sebastian

I missed that, I've looked at some many sites and example today, my
head is spinning

martin

Re: OT, sorry, simple Windoze GUI

I recommend Python and the pyserial module (using tkInter or
wxPython GUI widget sets -- the former is probably easier for
simple apps).

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Are you mentally here
                                  at               at Pizza Hut??

Thanks Grant,

Just going through the wiki while I'm downloading Python

martin

Re: OT, sorry, simple Windoze GUI
Yes.. Use MFC/C++ and one of the many free Serial classes out there. Also
LOTs of info on MS site for how to do this. I would think VB can also do it
with ease.

Re: OT, sorry, simple Windoze GUI
On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 15:42:57 GMT, in comp.arch.embedded "Jona Vark"

Thanks, but I've never ever programmed anything on a PC, apart from
one simple demo program in VB, and that was this morning!

I just dont think I'd get any satisfaction from PC programming, doing
stuff in 8051 land, (and possibly the MSP430 is next) is just so
enjoyable ( for an analog guy )

I'll try Grants suggestion of python first, before getting into
anything heavy

martin

Re: OT, sorry, simple Windoze GUI

Martin, there is another easy to learn scripting language Tcl/Tk.
With only some lines it is possible to build GUIs. Serial stuff is
integrated. It works cross platform Windows, Linux, Mac.
A first link to the Wiki:
http://mini.net/tcl /
and a news group as well: comp.lang.tcl

Regards
  Heinz
  Ende der eingebetteten Nachricht

Re: OT, sorry, simple Windoze GUI

In my opinion, the PowerBASIC Command Compiler is the perfect tool
for this sort of job.  See http://www.powerbasic.com /

Other good choices are Python and Qt.  They cost less but they are
not quite as easy to set up and use as PowerBASIC.  This is not to
say that either language is hard to use or flawed; it's just that
PowerBASIC sets the bar so high that it is hard to beat.  :)

Re: OT, sorry, simple Windoze GUI
Hi Martin,

The trick is noting that opening a comport under windows is to use the
'CREATEFILE()' function with READFILE() anfd WRITEFILE() to receive and
transmit respectively. It is really simple if you use non-overlapped
mode and just use a timer (50milliesec) to poll usinf the ReadFile()
function.

Robert

Re: OT, sorry, simple Windoze GUI
On 13 Aug 2005 08:57:44 -0700, in comp.arch.embedded

Thanks, sounds good, just attempting to read the python stuff with
notepad++, I'll take a breather later and dig out VB again

martin

Re: OT, sorry, simple Windoze GUI

The Win32 com port API is a horrible mess (even when using
Python).  Python and pyserial is far simpler. :)

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I'm encased in the
                                  at               lining of a pure pork

If you want a programming language on which you can expand
and write other applications I can heartily recommend PowerBasic.

There are plenty of example programs on their forums that are
close to what you need too.

--
Gary Peek                mailto: snipped-for-privacy@mycompanyname.com
Industrologic, Inc.      http://www.industrologic.com

Thanks Gary, Guy Macon recommended that as well.

I'll look into it, but I'll see how far I get with Python first

martin

Re: OT, sorry, simple Windoze GUI

I've not used Python, but I highly recommend Tk/Tcl.  It is fun,
easy to use and tutorials are available!
And it now includes Expect, which can help create automated
serial transactions.   (Like the old Modem/BBS scripts...)

You may have gotten Python from ActiveState, which also has
Tk/tcl.

www.ActiveState.com

Rufus

Re: OT, sorry, simple Windoze GUI
On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 09:35:56 -0500, Gary Peek

If you want a really simple programming language have a look at
www.libertybasic.com

I have used it over serial ports for "configuration" programmes to set
up embedded systems.  Really easy to use and cheap.

Alan

Jenal Communications
Re: OT, sorry, simple Windoze GUI

If you know C++, I'd recommend FLTK over Qt for a Graphical User
Interface library, simply because there is no licensing involved, even
for commercial projects (www.fltk.org). It is cross platform (Windows,
Unix, Mac), easy to learn, and comes with about 100 sample programms.

You still have to find a way to do the serial communication though.

Re: OT, sorry, simple Windoze GUI
I've always used Delphi and the AsyncPro communications components
originaly from Turbopower, now under an opensource license.

yes they're free!

http://sourceforge.net/projects/tpapro/

You can generally get a free copy of Delphi from a CD on the front of a
computer magazine.

Delphi is a very easy to use and excellently designed visual
development environment using Pascal.

The AsynchPro components make comms development (serial & ethernet ) as
technically demanding as tying a shoe lace.

VB is a cockroach in the restaurant of windows coding. Stamp on it at
every opportunity.

Not that I'm biased or anything :)

Site Timeline