HPlip Gui

I am trying to configure my printer using the Hplip gui but discovery always fails On my other linux boxes manual specifying the ip address of the printer will suffice to overcome this but it does not seem to work on my Pi3B+

Cups will see & configure the printer ok but I would realy like to be able to make use of the HPlip gui as it provides information on ink levels etc.

The error given is "HPLIP cannot detect printers in your network. This may be due to existing firewall settings blocking the required ports. When you are in a trusted network environment, you may open the ports for network services like mdns and slp in the firewall. For detailed steps follow the link.

"

how do I configure the firewall on the PI to enable this (default raspian install)

Reply to
Alister ware

On a sunny day (Fri, 28 Sep 2018 07:53:18 GMT) it happened Alister ware wrote in :

Is your printer on the same IP address range as the pi? For example if the pi is at

192.168.. and the printer at 10.10.. it will not work.

typing sudo ifconfig will tell you the pi's IP address.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Yes they are all on the same wifi network

Reply to
Alister ware

open a browser. go to localhost:631 (or IP_of_the_rpi:631 ) This will open the web interface of the printserver. Set your printer from there.

Bye Jack

Reply to
jack4747

(the printserver is CUPS)

Bye Jack

Reply to
jack4747

Which part of "ICups will see & configure the printer ok but I would realy like to be able to make use of the HPlip gui as it provides information on ink levels etc." is causing everyone comprehension difficulties?

I have already configured using CUPS, I want to get the HP Gui working the same way it does on my other Linux systems (running fedora)

--
Lensmen eat Jedi for breakfast.
Reply to

Sorry thit is a bit rude to people who are trying to help (having a bad time at present but that is no excuse). what I should have said is :-

Yes I have been able to get the printer working with cups but iI would realy like to find out how tyo het the HP tool working. Using cust as a workaround whilst practicale does not increas my knowledge which is why I would like to find a fix.

Reply to
Alister ware