Low cost OTS embedded computer with Etherrnet and discrete I/O?

I am looking for a low-cost computer platform with discrete I/O capabilitiy and an Ethernet interface.

I need something in a box / mechanical enclosure ready to use in an industrial setting. The application is simple, not very processor intensive, process some inputs and transmit an IP / Ethernet packet; receive a packet and drive some outputs. Unfortunately it is very custom application. I either need a powerful scripting interface or the ability to write my own application. I would prefer not design any custom hardware or mechanicals as the quantity does not justify it. If I could find a platform to both develop and ship it in, that would be great.

Does anyone know of a product that would fit this niche? Any help is appreciated.

--Chris

Reply to
chrisaotto

Chriss,

- How many inputs and outputs?

- What kind of inputs and outputs?

Gerard

Reply to
Gerard

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com a écrit :

Hi, I was searching the same thing myself, as my budget is very low :(

I found the NSLU2 from linksys, which is an ideal platform. It is an embedded linux system, with two USB2 ports, at 480mbs, and a

10/100 ethernet port, and a serial port (onboard 4 points connector). the processor is a IXP420 at 133MHz, which is basically an ARM Xscale compatible processor, with some extensions.. (can be overclocked to 266MHz , just by removing a resistor), and it runs LINUX. It as 32MB of sdram, and 8MB of flash in standard. There are a lot of developpement around this little embedded system, search for "NSLU2 linux" on google .. see this page --->

It is a network storage appliance basically, to share multiple USB2 hardrives via ethernet network.. it only cost around 80euros, (~ 90 USD) at this price, it is unbeatable :)

The last linux kernel 2.6.11.2 and 2.6.12 are working on it, so every USB2 devices that kernel 2.6.12 supports, are working on it :) Webcams, usb drive, DVB receiver, wifi cards, USB2 vga cards, and everything that linux kernel as driver for ...

If you nead more IO pins, you can juste add a homemade extension card, with a FT245 for example, or any USB to parallel IO usb chips...

like we say in French... "Que demande le peuple !!!"

bye... CECCHINEL S. snipped-for-privacy@free.fr

Reply to
steph

Check out freescale.com. They have a good selection of microprocessors ranging from simple 8-bit to 32-bit. They also have many development platforms that include the peripherals you are looking for.

Reply to
gooch

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote: : I am looking for a low-cost computer platform with discrete I/O : capabilitiy and an Ethernet interface.

-- ****************************************************** Never ever underestimate the power of human stupidity. -Robert Anson Heinlein

snipped-for-privacy@INVALID.and.so.forth ******************************************************

Reply to
Geir Frode Raanes Sørensen

Yes, the MC9S12NE64 Demo Board would probably do what you need. No shame in shipping demo boards inside an enclosure - if you ever get up the volume, you can make your own.

Reply to
cs_posting

This demo board is pretty nice and a reasonable price. You can get it for under $100 including shipping and it comes in an enclosed box with an Ethernet port, Serial port and 40 pin I/O port. It also has a BDM for debugging but comes with software to debug and Flash over the Serial port. It also ships with a demo version of CodeWarrior and an open source TCP/IP stack. It is pretty simple to get some code up and running on this thing very quickly.

Reply to
gooch

12 TTL inputs, 4 TTL outputs
Reply to
chrisaotto

Thank you for all the great suggestions. I appreciate it.

-- Chris

Reply to
chrisaotto