Low cost OTS embedded computer with Etherrnet and discrete I/O?

I am looking for a low-cost computer platform with discrete I/O
capabilitiy and an Ethernet interface.

I need something in a box / mechanical enclosure ready to use in an
industrial setting.  The application is simple, not very processor
intensive, process some inputs and transmit an IP / Ethernet packet;
receive a packet and drive some outputs. Unfortunately it is very
custom application.  I either need a powerful scripting interface or
the ability to write my own application.  I would prefer not design any
custom hardware or mechanicals as the quantity does not justify it.  If
I could find a platform to both develop and ship it in, that would be
great.

Does anyone know of a product that would fit this niche?   Any help is
appreciated.

--Chris

Re: Low cost OTS embedded computer with Etherrnet and discrete I/O?
Chriss,

- How many inputs and outputs?
- What kind of inputs and outputs?

Gerard

Re: Low cost OTS embedded computer with Etherrnet and discrete I/O?

12 TTL inputs, 4 TTL outputs

Re: Low cost OTS embedded computer with Etherrnet and discrete I/O?

Hi, I was searching the same thing myself, as my budget is very low :(

I found the NSLU2 from linksys, which is an ideal platform.
It is an embedded linux system, with two USB2 ports, at 480mbs,  and a
10/100 ethernet port, and a serial port (onboard 4 points connector).
the processor is a IXP420 at 133MHz, which is basically an ARM Xscale
compatible processor, with some extensions.. (can be overclocked to
266MHz , just by removing a resistor), and it runs LINUX. It as 32MB of
sdram,  and 8MB of flash in standard.
There are a lot of developpement around this little embedded system,
search for "NSLU2 linux" on google ..
see this page --->
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/HomePage

It is a network storage appliance basically, to share multiple USB2
hardrives via ethernet network.. it only cost around 80euros, (~ 90 USD)
at this price, it is unbeatable :)

The last linux kernel 2.6.11.2  and 2.6.12 are working on it, so every
USB2 devices that kernel 2.6.12 supports, are working on it :)
Webcams, usb drive, DVB receiver, wifi cards, USB2 vga cards,  and
everything that linux kernel as driver for ...

If you nead more IO pins, you can juste add a homemade extension card,
with a FT245 for example, or any USB to parallel IO usb chips...

like we say in French... "Que demande le peuple !!!"

bye...
CECCHINEL S.
snipped-for-privacy@free.fr

Re: Low cost OTS embedded computer with Etherrnet and discrete I/O?

Check out freescale.com. They have a good selection of microprocessors
ranging from simple 8-bit to 32-bit. They also have many development
platforms that include the peripherals you are looking for.

Re: Low cost OTS embedded computer with Etherrnet and discrete I/O?
Yes, the MC9S12NE64 Demo Board would probably do what you need.  No
shame in shipping demo boards inside an enclosure - if you ever get up
the volume, you can make your own.

Re: Low cost OTS embedded computer with Etherrnet and discrete I/O?

This demo board is pretty nice and a reasonable price. You can get it
for under $100 including shipping and it comes in an enclosed box with
an Ethernet port, Serial port and 40 pin I/O port. It also has a BDM
for debugging but comes with software to debug and Flash over the
Serial port. It also ships with a demo version of CodeWarrior and an
open source TCP/IP stack. It is pretty simple to get some code up and
running on this thing very quickly.

Re: Low cost OTS embedded computer with Etherrnet and discrete I/O?
: I am looking for a low-cost computer platform with discrete I/O
: capabilitiy and an Ethernet interface.

http://developer.axis.com /

  Never ever underestimate the power of human stupidity.
Re: Low cost OTS embedded computer with Etherrnet and discrete I/O?
Thank you for all the great suggestions.  I appreciate it.
-- Chris

Site Timeline