How to make an ARM evaluation Board?

I want to use an ARM microcontroller on my graduation thesis. But,
because of the high price of an evaluation board and taxes of my
country, i can't buy an evaluation board. So I have to make it by
myself

is there any documentation on internet?

Please help me.

Thanks

Re: How to make an ARM evaluation Board?

The cost of making one and debugging it will outweigh the cost of
buying one. www.olimex.com, they start at US$49.95. Ships out of
Bulgaria.

Re: How to make an ARM evaluation Board?
I want to make it by myself anyway. $49.95 cost me at least $200.
Please help me!!! Don't you have any website

Re: How to make an ARM evaluation Board?
Also I want to use Atmel ARMs

Re: How to make an ARM evaluation Board?

Try my website: www.modularcircuits.com

It has a complete CPU board with the Atmel AT91R40008 CPU on it, called
hcAT91. Full schematic and PCB documentation is available. You will also
find a small starter-kit there that would provide you with a power supply
and an RS-232 interface.

Regards,
Andras Tantos

Re: How to make an ARM evaluation Board?

What exactly do you mean by making it yourself?  Do you want just
schematics or gerber files?  Are you able to make 6 or 8 layers PCB,
with 0.3 to 0.4 mm holes and 0.2 mm lines?

What country are you in?  I have not heard of 400% tax before.

Atmel ARMs comes in 0.8mm BGA.  Probably 6 layers board.

Re: How to make an ARM evaluation Board?

When you design some device with ARM MCU, don't you have to make a
board for this? For example, when you are making a MP3 Player, you have
to make a board for it!

(Price + Tax + Shipment) costs between $100 and $200. Why do i buy a
board $55 instead buying a board $200!!! That's my country

As you said i can't make it by my hand! I have to design it with a PCB
Program and give gerber file to a board maker company!

Guys, What is the strange side of making it by myself? Did nobody here
make a board before?

Where do the companies learn making ARM evaluation board? Is this
secret????

Re: How to make an ARM evaluation Board?

Yes, the question is whether you can find a company in your country to
make board with the above specifications.

Country with such high protective tariff may not be able to produce
fine-pitch PCB needed for ARMs.  That's why they are protecting their
local PCB makers in the first place.

Only if you can send it to a local company capable of making it.

Not us (USA), most of us don't make boards anymore.  We just farm it
out somewhere else on earth.

Not secret, but expensive labors and equipments.  To start with, you
need a laser drill for holes less than 0.4mm.  Not many of us have a
laser drill in the garage.

Re: How to make an ARM evaluation Board?
Double sided ARM development board with 0.8mm drills (or less) and 0.5mm
pitch for TQFP package can be made in the garage.

BR,
Slawc

j is i

Re: How to make an ARM evaluation Board?

Nothing with more than 2 layers. You'll want at least 4 layers for a 0.8mm
BGA (decoupling, ground plane).
You can have one made at a printshop, but it's gonna cost you more than USD
200. That's just the board, no components.
The reason why commercially available bords are so cheap: economy of scale.

Steven

Re: How to make an ARM evaluation Board?

Don't have a clue why people are always talking about BGA package..
at91rm9200 is also available in QFP...though more expensive.

Also many schematics are available for it...for example:

http://www.ucrouter.ru/english/hardware.html

Only heard from one though making a 2-layer board and having problems
with SDRAM...you might be available to have success...but don't expect
to route out all periphal signals it can offer...4-layer minimum if
you want the fancy stuff as well...but don't know if any free PCB
package is capable to do so...

And also...getting at91rm9200 samples isn't an easy task if you
can't tell a good reason (o;

rick

Re: How to make an ARM evaluation Board?

The QFP should be cheaper.

A. P. Richelieu

Re: How to make an ARM evaluation Board?

Steven

If one is dedicated enough it's absolutely feasable to produce
multilayer boards at home. I made my own through plating station for
this very purpose and sucessfully create 4 and 6 layer boards - see.

http://www.myhome.ch/mzingg/pcbstuff/tps /

Due to the lack of spare time my project to finish a small oven which
is able to follow temperature curves to propperly solder BGAs is not
yet finished. However others made this already so again, if one is
dedicated and willing enough things like this are feasable.

It's much fun to decide to need a board and have it in your hands 4 -
6 hours later. Where I live (Switzerland) producing a board in 3
working days (not 4 - 6 hours) would generate costs higher than those
of the station including all chemicals etc.

However, for a one time project this is impossibly cheaper than buying
a board somewhere. In my case espeically the long time it takes to get
a board with reasonable costs was the main reason to initiate the
project. Getting the experinece and overall have fun doing something
like this were also motivating factors.

Markus

Re: How to make an ARM evaluation Board?
0.8mm
USD
scale.

Hi Markus,
this thing looks really great! I can understand you can do hole plating, but
how would you do a multilayer? Just curious

Steven

Re: How to make an ARM evaluation Board?

In short, the process needs thinner base material than usual. Bungard
- a german supplier of board material - does have it, but I figure you
also get that in the US. Then, you basically make the inner (double)
layer first, but don't drill at this time. You glue the outher
(single) layers left and right to the inner one, drill and through
plate, then expose and etch the outer ones. For a six layer you
expose/etch the inner ones but dont drill (just one work step more)
then apply layer 5 &6 as described before with a four layer one. There
is no difference actually to a four layer apart from this.

It requires to use laminate for expose and etching so as the holes are
coverd during etching but that's a requirement with through plating
anyways. I never had a single "faulty" board so far. Once you are a
bit used to it it's really no rocket sience.

The trick is to have some (simple) tools to have the stack propperly
aligned. I do this by first drillng two holes diagonally oposite to
each other and use those to position the films for exposure and of
course also to glue propperly aligned. As glue I use regular two
component (5 minute) epoxy and a special device primarly consisting of
two vises to apply the needed pressure. I have some pictures of this
somewhere - well, it's really getting time that I update the webpage
showing these things too but sparetime is rare at the moment.

The resuliting boards are absolutely ok for prototying and private use
- really a good way. Once you have the equipement and experience it's
also very cheap. I.e. a four layer 3x3 inch sized board with say 200
holes costs about $10. If you also apply a solder stop mask (which is
also available as a laminate) you can't optically distinguish the
boards from boards made in a board house. Again, this is a good
solution for prototying and experimenting but I never would come to
the idea to make a production run this way. That's definately what
board houses are here for.

Markus

Re: How to make an ARM evaluation Board?

What's the problem with just answering the question: What country
are you in?

Re: How to make an ARM evaluation Board?

Good question. The OP's posting host is 85.96.192.142

IP range : 85.96.192.0 - 85.96.192.255
Infos : ADSL-ALC-Izmir-Static Pool
Country : Turkey (TR)
Abuse E-mail : snipped-for-privacy@ttnet.net.tr
Source : RIPE

But he could use a proxy...

Markus

Re: How to make an ARM evaluation Board?

Turkey! and Olimex is in Bulgaria! Just jump on your bike to get it
yourself! :-)

Re: How to make an ARM evaluation Board?

I am sure the tariff/tax is to stop people from doing so, but you can
always risk it.

Olimex can't do 0.4mm/0.2mm holes/lines.  I used them before and I know
their limits.

As for myself, I am ready to jump in a plane to get it.

The ARM I am using come in BGA only, not QFP.  Even if there is QFP,
you need to expand the routing area much bigger than BGA.  The final
PCB for QFP would be much bigger than with BGA.

Re: How to make an ARM evaluation Board?

<snip>

Olimex can do 0.2mm (8 mils) track width/space , but it takes 15
working days.

Their minimum drill size is 0.6 mm (24 mils)

Tom

Site Timeline