Costs for building a custom Pentium 4 or Athlon64 board

Does anyone have experience with building modern processor boards?

I want to remove the uncertainties (primarily long term availability) with using COTS boards in my system, and also to reduce the design from two boards (motherboard + "special sauce" board to a single, combined, board.

An Intel socket 775 P4 board that does what I need it to (from a processor and PCI Express bus perspective), today, costs $80. If I can build it for 2x that, and include my sauce, it will be worth it.

High speed digital design and tight constraints PCBs I can handle. Very good design guys here.

What hurdles do you think I will hit going this route?

I have heard chipset availability for the little guy (1K units/qtr) can tough.

I have heard that processor sockets are v.expensive, again for the little guy.

BIOS I'm not worried about. General Software, Inc. looks good.

I know this group is primarily microcontrollers, but I hope there's someone out there with "big processor" experience too.

Thanks, Paul.

P.S. 3GHz class P4 or Athlon64 is a hard requirement, so I'm not looking for alternate "embedded x86" or PowerPC type advice (although other people may find such advice useful, so go ahead!)

Reply to
Paul Marciano

I am not so sure that this will remove the long term availability uncertainty. What do you do when the chipsets or microprocessors become unavailable?

You could stock up on those parts, but the total cost would likely be less if you opicked a COTS board and stocked up on that instead.

--
Guy Macon
Reply to

Commell design and produce custom boards. I know one company that had them do the same thing, integrating a custom board into a single mainboard.

toby