Fun with daft questions

One of the most common I receive - "Can you help me run Linux on my 8051", or more often than not "Can u plz give me source code for Linux on my 8051, waiting your reply. Urgent. Thx".

I've just been looking at the search stats for last month on the FreeRTOS.org site, and believe it or not, the number one search with more than 50 entries (so more than once a day!) is "Linux 8051". I would hope that some of these searches were people looking for 8051 tools that would run on a Linux host, but I know most are not. Who are these people - and what products are they working on (I want to make sure I don't buy one).

Anybody else like to share some gems?

--
Regards,
Richard.

+ http://www.FreeRTOS.org & http://www.FreeRTOS.org/shop
17 official architecture ports, more than 5000 downloads per month.

+ http://www.SafeRTOS.com
Certified by TÜV as meeting the requirements for safety related systems.
Reply to
FreeRTOS.org

Well, with enough external memory it should be possible.

(Perhaps by software emulation of a processor for which it's already been done.)

How about linux on a universal turing machine?

Reply to
cs_posting

Illiteracy is gaining ground everywhere. There is less and less need to do new things, enough old stuff to be consumed (except food, I guess, but this could only be expected at this population growth rate). Last few years I have seen countless "projects" being grant or otherwise financed to zero result (which has been 100% predictable upfront). Brainless (but connected) "managers" get cash and use the few buzzwords they know (which are "windows" and "linux"). They pass that on to the first youths they can find cheapest to simulate some work, and those youths add another one or two buzzwords they know (e.g. 8051) which is all they get paid for and all they ever do. And most of those who are really capable of doing something also get sheepishly involved in the mainstream and effectively stop doing anything useful as well...

Lately I find it less easy to laugh about it as it has become by far the dominant trend.

Dimiter