Editor?

snip

No offence taken. I know editors are a very personal thing. I remember nearly 25 years ago working on a microprocessor development system that had a line based editor (worse than the old IBM edlin). It was OK once you got used to it and I used it everyday for about six months. However, I also remember the revelation when the first screen based editor appeared. After that there was no way I would go back to a line based editor. I felt the same when GUI editors appeared with their point and click interface and no need to learn arcane key sequences.

I am sure that for people who do a lot of editing it is easy to become very familiar (and productive) with a particular editor. For the casual editor like me a minimal learning curve is essential. I only mentioned Kwrite, which I would initially have put in the same class as Windows Write i.e more a primitive word processor than an editor, because almost by chance I started using it to write a Tcl/Tk programme. To my surprise it recognised the keywords and highlighted the code as well as showing starting and corresponding ending braces. With line numbering turned on it does me fine.

Ian

--
Ian Bell
Reply to

free:

I' currently running Nedit on X and the olde Codewright on Windows (pretty seldom).

For programming work, the syntax coloring has saved plenty of debugging and compiler complaints.

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

Interesting. Pls define 'better'.

Ian

--
Ian Bell
Reply to

snip

I mentioned Kedit but in fact I really meant Kwrite - not a minimal word editor but quite a good programmers editor. Has highlighting for very many languages etc.

Ian

--
Ian Bell
Reply to

[...]

Vi is a piece of wombat do. ;-)

After Borland bought and killed Brief, I switched to CodeWright. Then Borland bought CodeWright, and...

I'll probably continue using CodeWright in the near future, but if (when) I have to switch again, it'll probably be to Xemacs.

If you want something very simple and free under Windoze, Programmer's Notepad

fits the bill nicely. My biggest complaint is the lack of column cut/paste/etc.

Regards,

-=Dave

--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.
Reply to

Oi! Don't you say bad things about our wombats!

Mike Harding (in Oz :)

Reply to
Mike Harding

Eclipse is too resources hungry for my liking, but the good thing about Eclipse is that it is platform independent and free. My current editor de jour is jedit.

Reply to
tehnyitchin

There will never be agreement on the best.

So, nominations for the _worst_ text editor:

I nominate the Tek-Lab with a DECWriter (30 cps teletype like thingy). I grew up on an '026 keypunch, so the ability to get a listing _any time you wanted_ was, like, wow!

Intel had a pretty awful one, Credit(?), that should have been called 'Bankrupt'.

Intel improved it with 'Alter'.

Then Willy The Wanker gave the world edlin (don't you wish he had finished college?) and I longed for an IBM '026.

IBM came out with 'Professional Editor': I threw it away. Wish I had kept it, it was _so_ incredibly bad. IBM also had a 'Personal Editor', a bit better but you wouldn't want to use it. Edlin didn't look so bad after these two.

Then it was back to Alter under run.com, a program that let Intel x86 MDSIII software run on an IBM PC.

Then came Brief. Heaven. I am still using V 1.32. Brief went down hill after that and I was sick of the text editor dance. OK, no mouse, but mice just give you numb fingers and an aching back.

Yeah, yeah: I have ME, Emacs, Kedit (?), blah blah blah, workbenches out my ears, IDE this and IDE that ... they don't impress me.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Consulting Engineer:  Electronics; Informatics; Photonics.

Do you really want to go back that far?

Ok, Symbolic Tape Editor -> ASR33

Came with new PDP8/L's along with PAL3 assembler.

Want to go back even farther?

How about a Friden Flexwriter and paper tape. *No* editor. Make a mistake, back up the tape and press rubout.

Anyone that had a DECWriter was in fat city (:

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Click on the "An open letter to CodeWright customers." link on that same page.

-Zonn

--
Zonn Moore            Remove the ".AOL" from the
Zektor, LLC           email address to reply.

Anything stupid enough to lose work is in the class of worst text editors. MS Word wins that race, for me.

Not that you'd want to use it for coding, anyway.

Re: mice: yeah, they do. Trackpoints, track pads and track balls all do the same job, with (respectively IMO) much less strain and grief. I use a nice logitech trackball next to my short "Happy Hacker" keyboard on my desktop, and have laptops with trackpoints and track pads. No more neck/thumb strain.

Vim rules: no mice, no function keys, no alt-meta-cokebottle, syntax colouring, multiple buffers, tag files, compile/fix, semantic cursor movement at the tips of your fingers. The only things that come close are original vi and Emacs VIPER mode (which is quite nice, too).

[Actually EDT under VMS was quite nice, as long as you were prepared to move your right hand off the home keys to get to the numeric keypad/edit keys.]
--
Andrew
Reply to

I would like to nominate CobEd, Cobol Oriented Editor. This editor was a customtversion of the AMIS editor, an Emacs lookalike developed by "Stacken", the computer club at the Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm. The AMIS editor ran on DEC PDP-10/PDP-20 36 bit machines and was also ported later to VAX/VMS. I think at one time "Stacken" owned 18 PDP-10s/20s and was known at DEC Maynard under its pet name "THE computer club" :-)

Anyway, I was sitting one day dicsussing the "worst" text editors around with one of the developers and then we developed very quickly the CobEd.

Abbreviations is an unknown concept in Cobol, so any true Cobol Editor must abolish abbreviations. A typical abbreviation in AMIS is the mapping of a pressing a key on the keyboard to the function "Meta-X selfinsert" uising the character as an argument.

By removing this mapping, CobEd was created. In order to insert a character in CobEd the user had to type the string "Xselfinsert" The is used as the "Meta" prefix. The editor would then promt the user for a character. Once pressed, the function selfinsert would be called with the character as the argument, so after 15 key presses , one character had been inserted in the editor :-)

Rest of the editor (beeing Emacs lookalike) is of course pretty nice, but I cannot conceive there is an REAL competition for the worst editor here...

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson   ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com

Limiting it to the (modern) editors that are foisted on us by IDE vendors the worst has to be Codewarrior as supplied with the ARM developer suite. No variable/function name completion, no source code browsing and, despite a number of calls to metrowerks support, it will not print files (nothing else has any difficulty but CW generates a windows error) Codewarrior - probably the world's most expensive make utility.

Reply to
ian_okey

I remember Intel's Aedit, both on MDS and on MS-DOS. Is it the same?

I still use Aedit when switching to a "command prompt window". I think its short-cuts are hard-wired in my brain, and when I see a black 80x25 text window, I cannot stop typing C:>AEDIT.

I think Aedit is the best editor whose executable is under 76,896 bytes. And, for the really memory-aware, you have Intel's Iedit, a slim version of Aedit (48,712 bytes!)

Right. IBM Professional Editor made me think of remaining an amateur programmer, instead of becoming professional :-) And in those DOS days, I learned edlin so well that I could edit autoexec.bat and config.sys without a screen. Which, believe me, it was a real situation sometimes.

Reply to
Ignacio G. T.

"Neil Bradley" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Been using codewright for years, still do and am quite happy with it. Which version are/were you using? I admit I do not use it in brief emulation mode, so perhaps that is where you are encountering issues.

--
Richard
Reply to

Rich Webb wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

uh oh, here we go...

and btw, just for the record, vi is evil, or at least half so...

--
Richard
Reply to

Andrew Reilly wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@areilly.bpc-users.org:

I used a trackball up until I tried the Anir mouse. It's basically a mouse with a big vertical handle on top of it where the buttons are mounted. You move it around like a mouse, but no strain, no pain. I still use a logitech trackball at home however.

--
Richard
Reply to

Zonn wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I still plan on using it until such time as MS breaks it with a new Windoze release, and even then, I may just forgo the new version of Windoze...

--
Richard
Reply to

... snip ...