Editor?

"Richard" wrote

I don't know that I could ever find what works 'best' for me. I'd spend all my time playing around with text editors.

My working definition of "The Best Text Editor" is

"The Best Text Editor is the one I use right now. I know it is the best because I use it. If it wasn't the best then I wouldn't use it, would I? This editor is so good I have used it all my life, I have never found a need to even look at anything else."

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Consulting Engineer:  Electronics; Informatics; Photonics.

GNU Emacs.

Free, included with GNU Emacs. It's called "crisp mode". I've never used it so I can't comment on how good the emulation is.

I'd personally recommend learning native Emacs though. It's not that difficult, and there's a built-in tutorial.

Reply to
Eric Smith

XEMACS. (Just to throw a little fuel on the fire ;-).

Is anyone using JED?

I'd been trying it out at a PPOE, and was quite impressed, but I changed jobs shortly thereafter.

Sort of like EMACS, but not quite so enormous and it uses something called s-lang instead of something called elisp. It fits on a single floppy.

S-lang resembles C more than it does lisp. The same author wrote the slrn news reader.

Regards, -=Dave

-=Dave

--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.
Reply to

rubout!

There's a word I'd forgotten!

now those memory cells have just been refreshed.........

Thanks, Jim.

Rufus

Reply to
Rufus V. Smith

Epsilon since the mid-80s. (Just to throw more fuel on the fire)

An EMACS-style for Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, OS/2 and DOS.

-- Dan Henry

Reply to
Dan Henry

Sigh...

Another group of people who've never used BRIEF and don't know wha they're missing. And now this reply is on page 10 and no-one'll read it.

Mentioning that you use such-and-such an editor (that isn't Brief) is complete waste of time. Do people somehow think that Brief users are no aware that other editors exist?

Mentioning that your editor has a Brief emulation mode in some option list somewhere is more useful but most of these emulations are rubbish an intended more to lure Brief-users into buying the product that to provide Brief-like editing experience. Unless you've a) used Brief a lot and b think the emulation is faithful, then best not to mention it.

vi/emacs users - a Brief user is as unlikely to embrace either of you editors as you are to embrace the other.

And finally, my useless contribution: I love Brief and I tried to find a free Brief-emulating editor 2 year ago. I found JED and KIT. JED was poor and KIT was OK, but I've jus spent an hour trying to find a link to it and I can't, so maybe it doesn' exist any more.

dbmole

...a reply to a six month old posting,

"page 10"?

[...]

which did you test - CRiSP, Visual SlickEdit, Epsilon (Lugaro), Codewright?

"free" will be difficult. But who cares to spend some money for a tool used every day over many years?

Why don't you tell where you found it?

Oliver

--
Oliver Betz, Muenchen (oliverbetz.de)
Reply to

Probably somebody who thinks the 'web is the entire Internet, and GoogleGroups _is_ Usenet.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  What I want to find
                                  at               out is -- do parrots know
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Grant Edwards
[...]

There are many more nice free text editors, look at

for my small list.

Oliver