Cheap stereo electronics, What do you think of these models?

DAMAGED KLH R3100 AM/FM Stereo Audio/Video Receiver NOTE: POWERS UP THEN SHUTS OF

DAMAGED INSIGNIA IS-HC040918 200w AM/FM STEREO RECEIVER NOTE: When powered on reciever error and powers off.

There are several of these models on Ebay. What do you think the chances are that the power supply or the audio power amp cooked? What would be the chances of buying the power out amp chip? These can be bought anywhere between US. $15,00 to $25.00 shipped.

Reply to
Glenn

If you aren't an experienced tech, you probably would be wasting your money. These are most likely chinko-cheapie type surround units, relatively complicated, but with marginal quality. A service manual is normally required for any but the most basic service. An output IC, easily replaceable, is pretty unlikely - these days it's a bit cheaper just to use transistors. Or it could be a digital amp with some weird unknown output IC. Or the problem may not be in the amp at all, but some unusual data problem, or some hidden shipping damage.

Good for a learning experience, but if you're looking for a bargain, maybe not such a good deal after all.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

And you can buy better, new/factory refurbished, for $90. Why bother?

Kal

Reply to
Kalman Rubinson

JR North

What do I think? I think I'm going to save my pennies for about another three months, and then go buy a Harmon Kardon AV635. ;-)

Now, with that said... If you're looking for a fixer-upper, I would look at the KLH before the other one. I've never heard of 'Insignia' as an audio brand.

Happy hunting.

kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
with surreal ports?"
Reply to
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee

I bought a damaged KLH for $10. It had been physically abused: dents in the cover and one speaker terminal damaged. The amp works fine, but the tuner controls sometimes lock up. It puts out around a hundred watts/channel into 8 ohms and uses chip outputs.

I've seen the exact same receiver branded 'RCA'.

The KLH tag is no guarantee that you're getting anything unique...or good.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

No, but if the OP is looking for a fixer-upper they're at least getting a known quantity that they'd stand SOME chance of finding service info for.

It puzzles me, though, why anyone would go after the fixer-uppers, unless they're already an experienced tech that happens to like repairing such units.

And if they're already experienced, why come here to ask what brand to get? That's self-evident to someone who already knows their stuff.

Keep the peace(es).

kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
with surreal ports?"
Reply to
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee

I'm only semi-experienced. I get a good deal of satisfaction in taking others' castoffs and using them. In doing so, I get some experience, some satisfaction, some money (not spent); and keep a good deal of 'stuff' out of the landfills.

I occasionally ask questions here. The OP may be looking for a new hobby....

jak

Reply to
jakdedert