difference between the two?

whats the difference between linux and embedded linux??

Re: difference between the two?

The operating system itself is basicaly the same. "Embedded linux"
usualy means a toolchain (compilers, libraries etc.) and stripped down
applications such that the root file system have a small footprint.
Sometimes there is some tools that help to build the root file system.

Have a loop at Embedded Linux Quick Reference Guides section at
http://www.linuxdevices.com/ ,
especially http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT2760742655.html .

The articles above are somewhat outdated but may be useful as a starting
point. Cousulting The Oracle (Google) with the right words could give
you even more tracks to follow.

HTH.

Elder.

Re: difference between the two?

hi,
I am a new to this field but you can say that embedded Linux is a
customized version of Linux that works over embedded system.

Fahad A. Al-Fattani
Computer Engineer
Mob: 0501 680 321
Saudi Arabia
Jeddah 21444
P.O.Box 15362
snipped-for-privacy@scsj.org

Re: difference between the two?
Hi,

embedded Linux can run on microprocessors and microcontrollers without
having to use a MMU (Memory Management Unit). "Regular" Linux followed
in the latest version and can do that now as well.  Myself coming from
small embedded microcontrollers the difference between the two OSs is
that one is incredibly huge and the other one outragesly huge, you
figure out which is which. You can run a reasonable system using
E-Linux with less than 10 MBytes of memory, where as memory better be
mostly RAM, while Linux is not really happy without having double
digits MBytes of RAM.

An Schwob

Re: difference between the two?

Your are mixing up Linux and uClinux. Embedded Linux != ucLinux.

I've read somewhere that one can have linux runing out of as low as 2MB
of flash and 4MB of RAM. I have no idea if such a system would be very
useful though. I how much smaller is uCLinux' footprint but I doubt it
is significantly smaller.

Re: difference between the two?

Linux is sure bloated these days.  I remember (ack, 12-13 years ago)
running 0.14 on my 386SX with 2 MB of RAM.  It ram out of 1MB, but the
upgrade was worthwhile ;)

Kelly

Re: difference between the two?
You are right,

sorry for the confusion. I was talking about uCLinux :-|

Re: difference between the two?

Who, and about what?  See sig. below

What confusion?  Did you say anything?  See sig. below.