Chorus for embedded system - very interesting and sad...

I came across the chorus as embedded system and found the the early
version has become open source.   I decide to build a slink database
for its source code.  (SLink lets you hyper-link every variables,
functions, macros in for the chorus' 8000+ source files, cross
reference and documents the code from any web browser. )

I found that the all the core kernel primitives of the chorus is
written
in C++ including paging, IPC, Thread, etc.  Very interesting.

Too bad, Chorus looks like a dying product/technology when I check the
activities in the newsgroup/source forge and Chorus' website.   :-(

The technology/source code is still very interesting to poke
around.....

http://www.slink-software.com/W/SL_TopGetSL/chorus_c5/chorus_c5.slk/ID_CtxSched/FILE_src/nucleus/sys/common/src/kern/mem/vm/page/pgSwap.C/L_150/LN_102#L_99

http://www.slink-software.com/W/SrcDoc_Top/chorus_c5/chorus_c5.sdoc/N_55

It is kinda sad....

Personally, I like chorus code a lot better than the more popular
BSD/Linux
kernel code.

Here's the code for NetBSD's scheduler:

http://www.slink-software.com/W/SL_TopGetSL/netbsd/netbsd_src.slk/ID_sched_new/FILE_crypto/dist/kame/racoon/schedule.c/L_150/LN_121#L_118
http://www.slink-software.com/W/SrcDoc_Top/netbsd/netbsd_src.sdoc/N_1066

Re: Chorus for embedded system - very interesting and sad...

Chorus is not dying (As you can see on the WEB page on www.jaluna.com),
 many new products have been delivered this year and  most of them are
based on the Chorus micro-kernel technology.

Of course, the project open source activity is low. The explanation is
relatively simple : we are a small team, and when we have to choose
between a project with a business opportunity and the open source
project,  we choose business ....

Gilles.

Re: Chorus for embedded system - very interesting and sad...
Hi,

Try jaluna.com, still alive and kicking in a differnt guise.

Andrew

http://www.slink-software.com/W/SL_TopGetSL/chorus_c5/chorus_c5.slk/ID_CtxSched/FILE_src/nucleus/sys/common/src/kern/mem/vm/page/pgSwap.C/L_150/LN_102#L_99
http://www.slink-software.com/W/SL_TopGetSL/netbsd/netbsd_src.slk/ID_sched_new/FILE_crypto/dist/kame/racoon/schedule.c/L_150/LN_121#L_118

Re: Chorus for embedded system - very interesting and sad...

Thanks Lee and Andrew for the good waves !
Please keep on preaching for our software everywhere if you think it
deserves so. And remember that you can actually support us by getting
your company to buy our products ;-)

True, the Chorus(tm) microkernel is still alive and kicking (ass ?) in
our Jaluna-1 and Jaluna-2. The initial release of Jaluna-1 has been
freely downloadable for 1 year, and quite successfull so with thousands
of downloads on SourceForge. Regarding the number of downloads specific
to the Solaris/Sparc host, one can infer that there have been a number
of "serious" projects done with it.

Best,

Eric

http://www.slink-software.com/W/SL_TopGetSL/chorus_c5/chorus_c5.slk/ID_CtxSched/FILE_src/nucleus/sys/common/src/kern/mem/vm/page/pgSwap.C/L_150/LN_102#L_99
http://www.slink-software.com/W/SL_TopGetSL/netbsd/netbsd_src.slk/ID_sched_new/FILE_crypto/dist/kame/racoon/schedule.c/L_150/LN_121#L_118

Re: Chorus for embedded system - very interesting and sad...

The newsgroup and sourceforge sites see very little activity.
That doesn't mean that the product isn't being used, etc.
I am currently using it in a product design (though I suspect I
will not *deploy* the product on it).

What's "more sad" are all the "abandonware" products the
sources for which have simply been lost or discarded.  So,
folks are doomed to reinvent the wheel...  over and over and over...

They serve different markets/application domains and have
different design criteria.  Chorus has it's roots in the microkernel
craze of the 80's; BSD/ATT systems came from the "monolithic
kernel" philosophy before that (though nowadays this distinction
blurs as each camp tries to cherry-pick features and mechanisms
from the other technology to improve/enhance their respective
offerings).

Horses for courses... (choruses??  :>)

Site Timeline