Better terminal program than HyperTerminal?

Joerg,

This is one of the features of docklight! If a mouseclick on a named sequence of chars (that you have edited before, freely changing between ascii, hex and binary mode) is convenient for you, then Docklight is for you!

Tilman,

I do not second that! What other terminal program allows you to generate ANY ascii character from a normal keyboard by using SELF DEFINED ctrl sequences? And why do you find it is not convenient? Only because you have to switch to this mode or are there other reasons that I am perhaps not aware of?

Best regards Ulrich Bangert

"Joerg" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:Or0ui.3506$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr19.news.prodigy.net...

lots!

Reply to
Ulrich Bangert

Brilliant. I'd been wondering about that one as well.

Reply to
Tom Lucas

Seconded. This program is hands down the best one I've ever tried (yes, better then teraterm).

Cheers,

Al

Reply to
Al Borowski

So how do you use COM11 with it?

Reply to
Paul Burke

It's in the help file... not that I had noticed it until someone in c.a.e. mentioned it long ago.

Reply to
David Brown

For the record, it appears that the setting name is MaxComPort.

--
-glenn-
Reply to

I agree to Glyn. I've been using CRT from VanDyke for years and it's perfect for my needs.

Darcio Prestes

Reply to
Darcio Prestes

There is a TeraTermPro version 4.50 (see

and
in which the default list goes to COM99.

Still small and fast.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Bergstrom

You can echo typed characters locally on Hyperterminal. It is optional and you can find it under File->Properties->Settings tab->Ascii Setup... button

Reply to
Adrian

Yes, thanks, meantime I had found out with newsgroup help. I never imagined a feature this important was buried under so many layers. In the DOS days it was right up top so you could click it on and off until you found out how an unknown device responded. IOW you had it on by default and when two replies showed up repeatedly you clicked it off.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Sorry, my bad for repeating the answer (or actually Google's bad). For any reason, Google groups doesn't show anymore the posts tree in the left bar. It showed me just two answers to your question. When I clicked "Sort by date" (after answering to you) it showed all the answers but in chronological order not in logical one. There is no way now to follow the discussions properly as it is now a list, not a tree. I haven't seen this until today, but I haven't checked it in the last days. Sorry again.

Reply to
Adrian

So abandon google, get a free decent new monitor (e.g. Thunderbird) and a news server (which should be free through your ISP) and organize things to suit yourself.

CBFalconer

Others have mentioned TeraTerm already. It is my preferred terminal emulator and it *does* install under XP. I am sure there are dozens of alternatives.

I gave up on HyperTerminal years ago, but just for the record - it claims to be able to give local echo. Take a look under File - Properties - Settings - ASCII Setup Echo typed characters locally

--
Torbjørn
Reply to

It does show the tree, but it has to be turned on. Look for the link at the top of the screen labeled options.

Lately I have seen it mess up and not show all posts in a thread. The odd thing is that it displays a count higher than the number of messages it shows.

BTW, I have noticed that using FF I now get a spell checker when I type in web pages like this one. Is this a new FF feature or did it somehow link up with a Word or Eudora spell checker???

Reply to
rickman

Well, maybe my XP is different. It bucks when I try to install.

Yes, I've figured it out by now with the help of the newsgroup. However, I'll probably migrate all this to Excel and VBA to avoid repeated entries of these lengthy SCPI instument control commands. That way I can place "one-click" buttons for some frequently used commands and even have read-back display fields. Of course, first I have to make Excel talk to a virtual RS232 port through USB but it seems that's been done before as well. I had a nice and very helpful chat in a German NG about this.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

That was the browse_frm view (in the URL). In addition, for over a day Google had things really screwed up (truncated after 3 posts).

That is the browse_thread view. 8-( I agree. It sucks.

Reply to
JeffM

Ok guys, got TeraTerm installed and this time it works. However:

Sometimes it fails to recognize COM6 which is the one where the scope resides. The device manager says it's all fine and the SW that came with the scope communicates properly via COM6. But TeraTerm does not see it. Then when I unplug the USB cable and plug it back in TeraTerm suddenly does see COM6. What gives? Why doesn't it stick?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

A couple of ideas spring to mind. Sometimes windows gets confused with USB serial cables, and loses track of them or gives them a different comms port number. Taking it out and plugging it in again can often help.

It is possible that TTP checks for the existence of comms ports before starting, so that you need to plug it in before starting up TTP (I don't

*think* this is that case for TTP, but it certainly applies to some programs).

You might have some other program that is grabbing the scope's comm port after it is plugged in - perhaps software that came with the scope, or other things running on the machine (software for synchronising mail with telephones or PDAs are notorious for this). Unplugging will cause such a program to lose its connection with the comms port, and it may not retake it after the cable is plugged in again.

mvh.,

David

Reply to
David Brown

Yeah, Windows. Sounds like the markings of a "reliable" OS. Like Archie Bunker's TV set that occasionally needed to be kicked so it works.

It's the other way around, TeraTerm seems not to like it when it's already plugged in. The scope's own software never has a problem with that.

I've made sure nothing else is running.

Hmm, this greeting sound Danish. Is it?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Norwegian ("med vennlig hilsen" - "with friendly greetings"), although they probably use the same abbreviation in Denmark. I use "mvh" when writing in Norwegian (I'm Scottish, but live in Norway), and sometimes use it out of habit even when writing in English.

mvh.,

David

Reply to
David Brown