transfering binary file using hyperterminal

hi all, I want to transfer and receive a binary file using hyperterminal to the soft core processor through UART.Is it possible? Please can anybody give me guidelines to do this?Can anyone give me an example of how to write a binary file?is there a particular format for doing this?I want to send stream of binary bits through the hyperterminal to the processor. Thanx.

Reply to
kittyawake

Use _anything_ but Hyper-Loser-Terminal.

Reply to
Scott

I'm using the X-modem protocol for it. Hyperterminal knows it.

Google for 'xmodem protocol'.

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

So that we don't end up with yet another "my terminal program is better than your terminal program" thread in this newsgroup, please have a look at the newsgroup archives or search the web. In summary, Hyperterminal seems to work for some people and for some uses, but there are hundreds of far superior terminals available (mostly free, some commercial) to suit all tastes. No one who has switched from Hyperterminal has ever looked back. So get hold of a real terminal program, and downloading binary files should be obvious in use and entirely reliable.

Reply to
David

Possible: sure. It may be harder to achieve with HT than with a proper terminal program.

These questions suggest that your real problem is not in the transmission of those data, though. You rather apparently haven't thought through the "why" before attacking the "how" question:

1) UARTs don't send "streams of bits" --- they send bytes. 2) If you don't even know how to create a binary file, why do you think you should be sending it to your micro?
Hans-Bernhard Broeker

We already determined in comp.arch.fpga that your MicroBlaze and one of the Xilinx UART cores could transfer the data. Now check what binary transfer protocols your terminal program supports, find source code for that protocol, and implement it on the MicroBlaze end.

--
Dan Henry
Reply to

Yes.

Xmodem etc ...

???

So you want to send a file that you can't even create????

Baffled!

Al.

Reply to
Al

I wanted a simple terminal for testing some UART routines. The group here is right there are very many excellent programs. I picked these because they were simple and the settings are right there on the GUI

On Linux I use CuteCom when I want a simple program, it is low frills, frankly, but never crashes which was becoming a problem for me on other terminals.

On Windows Bray++ Terminal for Windows is good.

What you probably want for creating the binary data file is a "hex editor". Again, there are very many, but I am currently using Bless on Linux, there is also a Windows port.

Here is a comparison of hex editors, I see trusy emacs can do the job, I'll have to try that

DanMatthews

Since you mentioned Emacs regarding hex editors, I just wanted to mention Emacs also includes a simple serial terminal as well. Starts with M-x serial-term and it then asks for a port and speed. Port settings are configurable from the status bar. I've used it in Windows and Linux. No binary file transfers though.

Reply to
Anssi Saari