Better terminal program than HyperTerminal?

I think The CRT group of products are rather good.

Only connection as a happy user.

Glyn

Reply to
Glyn Davies

There is "Enable local echo" checkbox in the properties of connection.

"entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

Despite of the well known problems, hyperterm is something that is always available.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

Not any longer in Vista..

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

What I really need long term is something that can send long strings from a simple command. Kind of a graphical macro. This is because SCPI strings are really lengthy. Probably the next step will be to see if a factory control program like DAQFactory can do it. LabView would but it's rather expensive. Not for me but for later deployment.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Had to do that as well yesterday. Even CTRL-ALT-DEL didn't work, had to use a hard reset. Not a good sign at all.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Found it. Way down in the basement somewhere.

Sorry, but I flunked Latin in school. No entiendo esto.

Yes :-(

The old MS-Works (DOS) terminal program was IMHO a whole lot better. But then again most stuff was better in the DOS days.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Does it still have a terminal?

I don't have Vista. And I sure won't for a long, long time. Stocked up on hardware just days before the switch :-D

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

"Entit=E4ten nicht =FCber das Notwendige hinaus vermehrt werden d=FCrfen"=

Which translates to "It is easy to make an impression of being smart if=20 you know how to use Google"

:-)

I preferred "Telemate" for its powerfull scripting abilities. So the=20 terminal I/O can be fully automated.

Beer, girls and politics were much better indeed.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

^^^^^^^^^

Hmm, I grew up speaking German but I am afraid that word hasn't been invented yet ;-)

Old consultant's joke: Client asks "What time is it?" upon which consultant says "Give me your watch and I'll tell you"

I still have my girl from back then, married her ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Ok, since many people here like it so much I'll serach again. The version from the Japanese site didn't install.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

+1 on the putty recommendation. I spent quite awhile looking for a serial terminal emulator, and then I realized that good ol' putty had one already ...

-a

Reply to
Andy Peters

Were either hardware or software handshaking enabled at the time? ISTR discovering, the hard way, that whoever programmed Hyperterminal's state machines forgot to process user responses while in the "hang on a bit" state. Once an XON etc was received, it caught up... sometimes rather spectacularly.

ISTR this also applied to certain states within file transfers (XMODEM etc)... Sloppy programming.

Also, as another poster said, it's fairly trivial to write a replacement (with whatever macros you need)... And I also can recommend PuTTY.

Steve

Steve at fivetrees

There is a "Maxports =4" in the .ini file. Change it to "Maxports=16".

Regards Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus

None. I found out the hard way that when going via USB the handshake needs to be set to "none". Still I had some spectacular crashes. Some people say the "new and improved" Windows will always recover, yada, yada, yada. Every time a new Windows comes out. IMHO that's baloney. In fact with every iteration of Windows it got worse IME.

I had to hard reset (and I mean reset button, not CTRL-ALT-DEL) the PC several times yesterday. Therefore, the first thing I do with any purchased PC is to drill a hole and mount a real reset button. Laptops usually have that already via holding the power button down for several seconds.

Yeah, but I am not a programmer. Also, I need to make sure that any remote control scheme would work at clients. Even those without fancy IT departments. IOW best with what's already on a PC. Of course then one of the posters here dashed that idea by mentioning that Vista doesn't come with HyperTerminal. Oh man.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

I'll give it a shot. Looks like the URL would be:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Without going through this long thread...

Teraterm Pro is free, has far more capability than Hyperterm (speaks telent and ssh amongst others) and just works.

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

Yikes. But the clue there *might* be USB. Driving a true 16550-style UART ain't hard. Driving USB introduces a whole new layer of "oops".

Yikes again. I have to say that I rarely run into this. I'm not a Windows fan (my servers here run OpenBSD) but for a client, it sucks in ways I mostly know how to live with.

Point taken.

Back in DOS days and beyond, I had dozens of serial terminal applications (including Teraterm, IIRC, and many whose names escape me now)(oh - ProComm...). If you'd asked me this question back then, I'd have been helpful ;). These days, I mostly make sure it works with Hyperterminal, in the knowledge that it'll work better with something better.

Has the local echo with Hyperterminal solved your issue? (Apart from the lock-ups - any clues on those?)

Steve

Steve at fivetrees

If you can't find it, I still have the original install files.

Let me know.

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

Mirror here:

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS
[...]

Back in the DOS days you got a really good terminal program as a bonus with many programs. I have used the one in MS-Works. Just imagine, I bought MS-Works for $109 and it did all my biz databases, calculated whatever EE math I needed, had a nice and easy word processor for writing the documentation. Plus had a terminal program that never crashed. Not once. This program was able to talk to anything with an RS232 jack that I had.

Yes, local echo works now. Still messes up the lines but that's ok. Crashes, well, they still happen :-(