ATMega128 -- Difference between flash/eeprom

Im trying to learn microprocessors, and Im a bit confused about
flash vs eeprom.

1. Does my program that I download (via ISP ribbon cable) go into the EEPROM
or the FLASH?

2. Can my user program use the EEPROM at run-time or must it be programmed
ahead of time?

3. How does a bootloader work?  (If I store a bootloader in flash, will
I need the ISP connector to program the chip anymore?  How is it then
programmed?)

Thanks!
Ben

Re: ATMega128 -- Difference between flash/eeprom

All executable code in the AVR's is in Flash, so your program goes into
it. You can have constant data there also, but accessing it is different
from accessing data in the data memories.

The EEPROM is a program-writable memory capable of keeping the data
intact when power is off. It is accessed as a peripheral device through
a couple of I/O ports, not as an usual memory directly.

The EEPROM is program-writable. Most ISP programmers for AVR can also
write it.

Get the Atmel documentation of the chips, your questions have the
answers there (http://www.atmel.com/).

HTH

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio @ iki fi

Re: ATMega128 -- Difference between flash/eeprom

I use the gnu tools, but it certainly will be FLash

user can program it at runtime - and it can be pre-programmed, too.

After reset, the chips looks for a programm in the flash.

Michael
--
Remove the sport from my address to obtain email
www.enertex.de - Innovative Systemlösungen der Energie- und Elektrotechnik

Site Timeline