OT: Junk Science

...Jim Thompson

On Mon, 06 Jul 2015 07:55:56 -0700, Jim Thompson Gave us:

Ummm.... that would be "junk food science".

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Everyone lies, but that's ok because nobody listens.

-- Jeff Liebermann snipped-for-privacy@cruzio.com

150 Felker St #D
Santa Cruz CA 95060
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

And anyone listening is dumb as a stump... watch "Watter's World"... a typical college student doesn't know when the Declaration of Independence occurred or from whom. ...Jim Thompson

Why should I remember history when I can just lookup the answer with Google? The days of having to remember everything of importance in my head are over. Now, my PDA (personal digital accomplice) takes care of the details and trivia storage. If I need to do math, I have my calculator to do the work. If I need to know some details, I have Wikipedia. If I can't spel, I youze a spellin chequer. That also clears out quite of bit of clutter from the head, makes room for the really important things, like my foolproof system for winning the lottery and remembering where I parked the car.

These days, it is quite possible to be completely functional without knowing anything, or being able to do anything useful. Instead of being judged by what I know, I'll be judged by how quickly or effectively I can excavate the necessary information from where it's buried. Instead of being judged by what I can create, I'll be judged by what I can find, or perhaps steal.

Since I probably won't have a permanent personality, my politics, attitudes, methodology, tastes, and preferences can easily be changed at moments notice. For example, if my stored historical chronology were currently slanted towards a radical point of view, a few keystrokes can change the relevant history to one more closely resembling a conservative point of view. I would wear my stored intelligence like a suit of clothes, tailored and selected for the occasion.

So, don't lament the ignorance of todays typical college students. Instead, work towards a glorious future, where a students access to stored historical information will be "sanitized" and "adjusted" to match your point of view, and where the American Revolution was just a side show in the Second 100 years war:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Mon, 06 Jul 2015 21:54:58 -0700, Jeff Liebermann Gave us:

The Declaration of Independence and the U.S. Constitution are NOT "trivia".

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Mon, 06 Jul 2015 21:54:58 -0700, Jeff Liebermann Gave us:

Try Wolfram Alpha. For that the modern appliance IS the better choice.

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Mon, 06 Jul 2015 21:54:58 -0700, Jeff Liebermann Gave us:

The Declaration of Independence and the U.S. Constitution are NOT "head clutter".

You lottery foolery IS.

And if you cannot remember where you parked your car, you should not be allowed behind the wheel of one.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On what basis do you argue that they are relavent?

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

From 'way back in 1957:

The Feeling of Power Isaac Asimov

"Siri: Who should I vote for for President?"

"Siri: What was I going to ask you today?"

and the obvious next step:

"Siri: What kind of cellphone should I buy?"

Frank McKenney

--
  The broader point here is that our ability to analyze data has grown
  far more sophisticated than our thinking about what we ought to do

            -- Charles Wheelan / Naked Statistics
Reply to
Frnak McKenney

Your homework assignment today is to look up and understand the word "satire".

Reply to
JW

Agreed. I use it on my smartphone, tablet, desktop, etc. There's quite a bit that can be done with Google Voice. I leave the Chrome browser running in the office to be triggered by saying "OK Google". I then ask it a question, such as "convert 27 Celsius to Fahrenheit". It's handy, but mostly I use it to impress customers and visitors.

However, it still doesn't do anything to my fix my apparently incurable arithmetic errors and self-floating decimal point problems.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Perhaps you spelled it wrong?

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Siri: You should vote for Ronald Reagan, my research indicates he would be the best choice for POTUS at this time. Perhaps he may have health issues preventing him from running at this time and perhaps some legal issues due to previous employment, but consulting former Mayor of New York Michael Bloomberg should remedy that issue. Bye.

Reply to
Tom Biasi

On Tue, 07 Jul 2015 09:50:17 -0700, Jeff Liebermann Gave us:

I have self floating points of various types and sizes in all aspects of life.

Admitting such is the first step toward realization that we humans ain't all that.

If we were, there would not be over a billion unfed individuals every day among us.

I do believe in God, and I believe that we were a noble experiment that has failed on numerous occasions throughout our tenure on this planet.

That is why he left.

It is our personal test for advancement to the next plane to try to do well for others. I just have a few faults, like a criterion that those others at least make an attempt to follow established societal rules and law.

This is why I feel that border incursions should be met with a return via catapult for the first offense and via circus cannon on subsequent infractions. The folks waiting in line who *do* have the credentials to enter or be here should get priority, not the jerks who we least want among us, and the politicians who want to give them all these benefits should get hoisted over the same wall.

Now, we need to build that wall.

No, The Trumpster is NOT the right man for the job. *I* am.

I will build prisons with brick factories in them, and even build one for the *bad* PIGs among us, so the goddamned judges stop failing to punish them for fear that those they incarcerated would kill them.

Let the bad piggies live among their fellow bad piggies, and then they can kill each other all they want.

We need a huge devil's island.... AGAIN.

Maybe some century in the future we will be civil and correct enough to be past such a need, but for now, it is still a requisite in my book.

Hillary needs to get put away as well.

Jane Fonda killed our servicemen with her mouth and her "free speech". This Clinton twit killed men while under oath, in office, and did so with a "casual flair". The bitch has stolen, hidden, or disposed of more documents than Ollie North, and she should fry for it, because real men *did* die as a result of her actions.

Snowden and Assange should get their come-uppance too.

Assholes who loot (ala Catrina) should eat a bullet too. Then... THEN the rest of us WOULD be more deterred. As it stands, the "statistic" claiming that the death penalty is not a deterrent is correct. If we actually DID carry out the death penalties we impose, that stat would change. Oh and rapists should lose something precious as well. First, snip, snip... then nut-begone... then the whole appendage. Loss of the right to ever set foot on free soil should be handed out more too. Violent crimes should be answered by taking away what the violent criminal was threatening to take away when he (it) committed the crime. His (its) freedom!

Rant-be-done... Here's yer sign.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I use PSpice to solve transcendental equations... just write out the Algebra as an EVALUE and "close the loop" ;-) ...Jim Thompson

On Tue, 07 Jul 2015 09:52:34 -0700, Jeff Liebermann Gave us:

Maybe he's tired.

"I'm tired, sick and tired of love, I've had my fill of love, from below and above, tired, tired of being admired, tired of love uninspired, let's face it, I'm tired! " --Lilly Von Schtupp

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

You are a complete and utter imbecile. You need to be led quietly back to your padded cell.

Reply to
Pomegranate Bastard

On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 09:06:08 +0100, Pomegranate Bastard Gave us:

In for your weekly stalk-and-attack post, eh, dumbfuck?

You need to be buried up to your ears in a desert right next to an ant hill, because you so richly deserve a slow, excruciatingly painful death.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I say, Nymbecile old girl. For one who claims to be a believer, that's not a very christian attitude.

Reply to
Pomegranate Bastard