Unfortunately, I dropped it!

I found a core in my junk box that worked for the "Designing an interesting inductor" Here's the physical shape.

As you can see I dropped it and chipped the most important part off and now it has an air cap. But, importantly, I found with only 60 turns on the dc coil I could reduce the inductance down from 100uh to 4uh with under 500ma. That was using my 100kHz inductance meter, so next I put it on the Q meter and found it runs out of steam at about 300kHz. Q goes to nothing. The AsubL of that core was around 2800. That core is about 2" per side and 11/16" deep, I don't need or want anything that big, but I do need room for enough turns of larger wire to keep the resistance low.

Where can I buy an ferrite E core that has that shape in a material with a 2000 or 3000 AsubL, that will work up to 4Mhz, or even higher?

Mikek

PS. I expect any geometry that necks down to a small cross section will work.

Reply to
amdx

Suppose an air gap in a core were filled with some compressible stuff. A dc field would squeeze it mechanically and reduce the gap hence reduce the AC inductance.

Sorry, I see you posted but it doesn't open for me (my problem) So checked googles groups to read it. That does sound feasible, (probably mechanically more difficult) but I will keep that in mind, especially since I may run into no-linear mixing with the core in the flatter part of the B/H curve. I just don't know that. Your solution would eliminate that possible problem.

Do you have any input on the E core with the reduced cross section at in one area?

THanks, Mike

Reply to
amdx