Tech Humour: Useless Inventions

A waterproof wireless mouse. So..it can be used in the shower.. :)

A spin off idea would be: Mouse on a rope.

Which leads to: The shower tile mouse pad.

And for the swimming pool: The floating waterproof wireless mouse and floating mouse pad. (I haven't googled yet for that but I got a feeling it probably exists.)

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada

Reply to
D from BC

Waterproof wireless mouse exists:

I don't know, if it makes much sense, if my mouse is too dirty, I buy a new one :-)

--
Frank Buss, fb@frank-buss.de
Frank Buss

Just put a wireless mouse in a ziploc bag?

Begs the question of where the display is located.

Reply to
Richard Henry

Actually they are quite useful in harsh industrial environments where operators might have to operate them with gloves soaked in whatever chemical they are working on etc. In my case I've used that kind of thing before in oil based production environments.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Got some milling machines with mouse input. Currently using wireless. You get both oil and water splash.

greg

Reply to
GregS

I don't know. Makes sense to me. I toss them when they get dirty because the usual surface doesn't wash up very well. Wonder if it's any good?

...Jim Thompson

As far as mouse mats are concerned, I've yet to find one that works with an optical mouse.

A sheet of plain white printer paper taped to the desk works perfectly, I might replace the one I have quite soon - but only because its got a bit grubby and I don't like the look of it, the mouse is working fine on it.

Reply to
ian field

Any plain ol' ordinary seen-one-you've-seen-them-all mousepad WILL float, until it gets waterlogged. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

NO, it does NOT "beg the question" -

It "raises the question", "demands the question", "leads to the question", and so on. But "beg the question" is a special phrase reserved for a circular argument (please see link).

Thanks,

--
Rich Grise, Self-Appointed Chief,
Apostrophe Police

I'm guessing a digital projector won't have good enough resolution.

So..a LCD display will have to be put somewhere.. I'd say an LCD display built right into the wall..

The Mouse on a Rope © (

Reply to
D from BC

In article , snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com says...>

Funny. I have yet to find one that doesn't. The only surface my optical (laser) mice haven't worked on is glass. Two even work fine on this desk (plain white formica).

It must get pretty grubby fast.

Reply to
krw

The major cause of poor solder joints (and, in high-end audio, of brittle macrodynamics and spatially confused soundstaging) has been found to be oxygen contamination in the water used to dampen soldering-iron holder sponges. My new line of 99.999 percent oxygen-free sponge water will be introduced shortly, and advanced orders will be considered.

John

There's something about the satin-finish varnish on my Ikea desk that confuses my optical mouse. Every now and then the pointer will try to scurry to the edge of the screen at a pretty good pace.

John

In article , snipped-for-privacy@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com says...>

Norway rat?

Reply to
krw

The tricky part is moving the mouse on the floating mouse pad without the pad moving with the mouse.. :P

Say you're swimming in the middle of a pool and you have the nutty need to control a mouse.

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada

Reply to
D from BC

I've got an old Fellowes Microban© mat, black and dirty ;-)

Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse works just fine.

Previous Logitech ones worked good also, except I don't buy Logitech anymore, the "left click" switch fails in a few months of the heavy use I give them ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Massaging the question ©

Reply to
D from BC

Years ago I found a snipped on the back of a weekly computer magazine about a problem NASA were having with a ball mouse not working very well in zero gravity.

Apparently the exchange of communications was eavesdropped by a radio ham as NASA tried to resolve how to operate windows with an inoperable mouse, the ham claims that NASA gave up in frustration and advised: "dock with the Russians - they have a UNIX server you can borrow".

Reply to
ian field

Sounds like an urban legend. NASA uses ThinkPads, which have TrackPoints; no gravity required.

Reply to
krw

Sounds like urban legend. Wouldn't you use a track ball in space?

...Jim Thompson