System timer IC

I'm thinking about building a quick fun time project that will require a couple clocks (but there's no strictly digital hardware involved)

I would need a clock for one of these chips to strobe the multiplexed output:

And then the same clock to drive a sample and hold to provide analog output. I'd also need a higher frequency clock to drive a TI MF10 switched capacitor state variable filter IC.

Anything you guys like for a purpose like this, easily adjustable with low external parts?

It might be easiest/cheapest just to use an ATTiny. But that feels a bit like overkill.

Please, no 555s!

Reply to
bitrex

[snip]

Why not? Probably best chip _ever_ designed. ...Jim Thompson

Wow, that's high praise. I never liked it much. There should have been one optimized for astable and one for monostable.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Didn't some company make an improved CMOS 555 that was a drop-in replacement for the original 555 (unlike the old 7555)?

Probably so expensive as to be useless..

Reply to
bitrex

What did they pay old Hans back in 1972 to design that thing, like 10 grand maybe? Best ROI ever...

Reply to
bitrex

No problem on my custom chips ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Probably much more than that. By 1972 I was making ~$30K, though I started at Motorola in 1962 at $6760.

And the Bay Area pay was higher. ...Jim Thompson

"CMOS-Osc-NoClip.pdf" on the S.E.D/Schematics Page of my website. ...Jim Thompson

Cool!

Reply to
bitrex

Interestingly, I believe your 1962 salary was approximately the sale price of a 1962 Cadillac Eldorado. I saw one at a show over the summer. What a car. I'm a little annoyed I missed out on those days.

I think my first memories are from around 1983 or 1984. I should scan some of these childhood pictures I have of growing up in the late

1980s/early 1990s. Who thought these fashion choices were a good idea?! Drugs must have been high purity back then.
Reply to
bitrex

A (new) 1961 Renault Dauphine cost me $1545

Wouldn't know... never touched the stuff. ...Jim Thompson

I use that structure (without the resistive divider which side steps ESD input diode clipping of jelly bean parts) on many of my custom chips. ...Jim Thompson

All the CMOS versions are lower voltage and lower drive, iirc. (The uA555's abs max was 18V.) I occasionally use the LMC555 in protos.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

CD4060 for the time base, CD4017 Johnson counter to steer the output to the correct meters (or whatever).

Or 744060 and 744017.

They should still be available, and cheap.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Thanks. I like the 74HC series...for battery powered audio equipment a 5 volt supply is a nice compromise between lack of headroom and power consumption, and 74HC works well there. I think that chip in the link above also provides a virtual ground on a pin as well, which is pretty nice.

Reply to
bitrex

+1 on the 4017. I use them a lot in protos for things like non-overlapping switches, where I want to allow some amplifier to settle between samples. They're a mini toolkit for overlapping control and data acq, which is a perennial problem.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

It's been a long time since I looked a 4017 data sheet but I remember looking for a guarantee of non-overlap and didn't find it.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Maybe Phil skips an output.

--sp