newbie question about embedded system project for satelliate communication

Hello, I am starting a remote monitor project for my course. The basic requirements are these:

1 around 100 remote monitor clients 2=2E clients send data (e.g. sensored data) to a server 3=2E the server can send admin data to clients (e.g. sensor intervial, server url etc). 4=2E User interface to access server

Running environment (for both clients and server): Ambient temperature: -25=BAC to +70=BAC Humidity: 0 to 100%

I am thinking of using satelliate technology to send data to /from clients, the reason is that client nodes may across countries and GSM may not be available. The server I am thinking of web server, plus a satelliate board attached in.

My questions are: Which satelliate module or system should I choose. Currently I am thinking of Satamatics SAT 101, or Skywave DMR-200. Would someone give me some idea on suitability? Or is there some other devices I can choose? (I need a report on costs, environment suitability, speed etc)

For the server, as the working environment is quite harsh as well, so it can not be a normal pc, i.e. at least it needs to be protected with some cases. Can someone recommend a resonable server that can work in the environment mentioned above? I am thinking of putting a web server on it to provide user access, so the server needs enternet card I guess.

My major is in computer science, and this course is quite new for me. So any help will be highly greatful.

Many Thanks

Jerry

Reply to
DAXU

So write one. YOU are doing this course.

Reply to
larwe

Solve the problem by defining a sensible specification. If you can't find info on a satellite system then specify a method you can find info on. Why not just specify that your site needs at least a landline - not too big an ask for most of the world.

Remember, every kid on your course has had to find a solution and 99% will be the same as yours. Your tutor doesn't care how clever your solution is because they've seen it all before. However, they will be interested in how you do your research and how you write your report. Concentrate on getting that right and it won't matter if you decide to communicate by carrier pigeon just so long as you can justify your decision.

Reply to
Tom Lucas

Hi, Thanks Tom. I will try to do it.

To larwe, who you think you are? You useless comment is as idiot as your other comments made before. I was asking for some help on directions, and your comment is as your user name larwe, just s**t.

Reply to
DAXU

Jerry, I think you should have spent some time reading this group before posting and you might have realised the Lewin is one of the most helpful and knowledgable people on this group. The reason you got a frosty reception is because you were expecting other people to solve your problems without any evidence that you had tried to solve it yourself. We don't just all sit here waiting for requests to write reports for you when with a very small amount of googling you could do it yourself.

I suspect that you've burnt your bridges now but any other new users reading this post would do well to remember that the more effort you put in then the better the outcome will be. Read the group for a while and search the archives because I know remote monitoring gets discussed in a lot of depth very regularly on this group as does rugged servers and all the other aspects of your problem.

Reply to
Tom Lucas