Stupid comments by (high school) students

A friend of mine teaches math in a high school in Greely, Colorado.

On Monday, during a math test, he caught a student texting with her cell phone.

My friend has a NO CELL PHONE policy in class and took away the test and the cell phone.

He gave her a failing grade on the test and sent the phone to the principles office.

The student exclaimed, "but I was texting!"

:-/

Sad, so Sad.

don

Reply to
don

What, that she went to class and learned something?

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

I just heard on the radio that it's now policy in GB that texting while driving is a felony, citing a texting woman who caused a massive accident and was sentenced to 21 months in PRISON... not jail, PRISON ;-) ...Jim Thompson

  Nancy Pelosi is living proof that Botox causes mental illness.

I think it's using a phone in any way, not just texting. I think that usage of a "hands free kit" or phone built into the car is allowed. Although I gather there is reseach that shows this is equally dangerous

I have noticed personally that there is something perculiarly distracting about talking to someone remotely, in a way that is different from when they are in the car with you. I think when they are right there they know when to shut up (at a junction say).

--

John Devereux
Reply to

No, not only that she failed the test, but she didn't realize that "texting" is still using the cell phone, which is against the rules.

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

And when you're distracted, they can say, "Watch out for that $road_hazard!"

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

When I was teaching my daughter how to drive, we did a day of "moose training". She'd drive up the driveway, and I'd randomly shout "moose!" We kept it up until she reliably hit the brake pedal and not the gas pedal.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

About a year ago I trained a granddaughter. To finally break her of cutting corners I had to take her into a hilly area with traffic ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Just did a test on Mythbusters. Concentrating on anything but driving will cause problems. If the person in the car stimulates your thoughts, its going to be just as much a problem. They only tested between driving near .08 alcohol and talking on the phone.

You can hang up the phone.

Been using Ham radio and phones since 1970 in the car. 35 years experiance here. Never tried telegraph in the car .

greg

Reply to
GregS

In article , Jim Thompson writes

It's been a crime here for a few years now. Isn't it an offence in America? We have some inconsistencies in driving laws... you can kill someone with a car through carelessness, and get away with a much lighter sentence (say 2 years) than killing someone by hitting them with a fridge or something other than a car (we have fewer guns here so have to be creative. A lot of gangs use white goods for bumping off rivals.) The law was updated recently to distinguish between killing someone through mere normal carelessness (momentary lapse) or bad luck (brakes failed), and ridiculous recklessness (getaway car in a police chase with no regard to others' safety) - I think the terms are "death through careless driving" and "dangerous driving", the latter has a much stiffer penalty.

I wasn't sure quite what your point was and had to look up the difference between jail and prison. Riiiight. Jail is the metric term for gaol, and is short-term. Well, well, today hasn't been entirely wasted then, I've learnt something.

--
Nemo
Reply to

I'll bet she knows that bit of terminology now, though.

School is for learning -- she learned. What's the matter with that? If you _don't_ want the kiddies to learn then don't tell them when they do wrong.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

So I guess phone sex while driving is out of the question? Mike :-)

Reply to
amdx

ll

nd

Since this occured during a math test, the student was probably using the calculator function on the phone. To call that texting might be a bit of a stretch... :0

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

Although it would look the same. I would be surprised if they aren't allowed calculators, though (sadly, few can even work those).

Most of college math, I wasn't allowed a calculator, which is how it should be.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Williams

If she had been using a calculator, wouldn't she have said, "But I was using the calculator!"

And, by the way, the guy (or gal) who runs a school is the "principal". A "principle" is more like a tenet.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

You're assuming a high level of language ability which might not be accurate.

You mean he (or she) has to pay rent?

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

cell

and

So true, When driving a car in a snow storm I find I naturally turn off the radio. The road needs my full attention!

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

[snip]

I hope so ;-) ...Jim Thompson

  Nancy Pelosi is living proof that Botox causes mental illness.

;-)

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

No, someone who used to run the CIA :-)

-- "Electricity is of two kinds, positive and negative. The difference is, I presume, that one comes a little more expensive, but is more durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it." (Stephen Leacock)

Reply to
Fred Abse