Stupid comments by an engineer

One of my chaps is off to do his PhD, which means he will know a lot about nothing.

He asked me the other day if reversing the 24V AC power supply to a board had caused damage to an elctrolytic capacitor. I don't think you have to know the circuit to answer the question.

Talk about not understanding what he knows.

Reply to
Raveninghorde

"Raveninghorde"

  • Messrs Abbott and Costello famously said:

PhD stands for Pin headed Dope.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

PhD == Piled Higher and Deeper ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | "Somebody had to build the ceiling... before Michelangelo could go to work." - John Ratzenberger

A lot of folks around here have PhDs (Post Hole Diggers).

Reply to
WangoTango

Sounds like he already knows a lot about nothing. No need to send him for a PhD.

Cheers

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

I'm not sending him.

He's from a culture that respects qualifications not achievements. I think respect for the Word prevents one being willing to challange received wisdom.

To be fair to him he'll do well in a non design environment.

Reply to
Raveninghorde

I've made LOTS of money from fixing circuits for PhD's, then returning again and again and again to fix what they changed after I left ;-) ...Jim Thompson

"Somebody had to build the ceiling...
           before Michelangelo could go to work."
                                                 - John Ratzenberger

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/Somebody_had_to_build_the_ceiling.pdf

Not surprising.Have you read any IEEE papers most of those pea brains have PHD's.

I'm surprised more people aren't killed from shoddy consumer and for that matter industrial electronics.

Reply to
Hammy

What amazes me is the world still funds the PhD system.

Steve

Reply to
osr

You should send this to Scott Adams for his "True tales of induhviduals" segment. ;-)

Cheers!

Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

They have to have a doctorate or a masters, or your not really allowed to publish in most refereed journals, unless your a student working with a PhD..

I'm dealing with a situation where a friend doesn't have the right "qualifications" to publish. He came up with something earthshaking, new, useful, and novel, patented it, licensed it etc, Now wants to further it along, and publish what he found. His condition for working with the pointy haired crowd, simply his name is on the byline, he'd even fund the research. He knows the science better then most postdocs in the field.

So far no takers.

Steve

Reply to
osr

When I google I search "search phrase" -IEEE -WIPO -patent -portal ;-) ...Jim Thompson

"Somebody had to build the ceiling...
           before Michelangelo could go to work."
                                                 - John Ratzenberger

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/Somebody_had_to_build_the_ceiling.pdf

One of the huge mistakes in academia. Right up there with universities and colleges not allowing practicing engineers to teach because they don't have the "proper credentials".

Why not self-publish it on a web site and make sure search engines find it? You can format it just like a scientific publication and there's nothing the ivory tower guys can do against it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

It's normal. Each closed group supports their status and defends itself from intruders using whatever reasons. BTW, try practicing law or medicine without proper credentials. And would you remind what is exactly P.E. about?

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

Let him work on the high current 20kV PSUs Problem solved.

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

[snip]

Happened to me. In the early '70's there was a shortage of technicians. I offered to teach FOR FREE at the local community college. I was declined because _I_only_had_a_Masters_ :-) ...Jim Thompson

"Somebody had to build the ceiling...
           before Michelangelo could go to work."
                                                 - John Ratzenberger

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/Somebody_had_to_build_the_ceiling.pdf

That is part of where the AGW crowd got started. One guy gets a theory, and publishes 'proof.' The next guy looking at it says, "Well, the part in my field is all ca-ca, but this other stuff looks compelling..." and so supports his collegue. The other guys, in the other fields, all feel the same, but still support the original premise since they can't refute the stuff outside their own field of expertise. Also, since that second guy supports it, the stuff in his area must be right...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

And then there's the Slowman type that rubber-stamps _anything_ spouted by academia, even though he, himself, couldn't manage a left-handed screw (purport that as you may ;-) ...Jim Thompson

"Somebody had to build the ceiling...
           before Michelangelo could go to work."
                                                 - John Ratzenberger

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/Somebody_had_to_build_the_ceiling.pdf

And your undergraduate degree must have come from a college known as a party school that slackers attend to just squeak by without actually learning anything too. :-)

If you started offering, e.g., week long design classes to industry I'm sure you'd get plenty of takers. (Same for Win and Phil and Joerg and others...) -- the going rate is ~$300-$500/day/student, which appears to make it worthwhile for all involved if you can round up at least 5-10 students.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

And they are the same guys who reckon AGW is real.

Cheers

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell