Stupid comments by (high school) students

When my sister was student teaching, she was a video-taped for evaluation. The camera was in plain sight in the back of the room -- all the students knew it was there and why it was there.

Sis gave an exam and when grading the exams noticed one of the students had copied answers, verbatim, from an another student. She failed the student and then watched to video tape, which clearly showed the cheating behaviour during the exam.

So, here is the sad part. The parents complained that their daughter shouldn't have been failed for cheating -- that their daughter did not cheat, etc. etc. When confronted by the video evidence they threathened to sue the school district, my sister, etc. etc. for invasion of privacy or whatever they think a lawyer would take on.

Fortunately, common sense prevailed and the princiPAL backed up my sister (who is now teaching full-time, btw). Nothing ever came of the parent's complaint. The girl was a little more well behaved after that episode, according to sis.

Tom P.

Reply to
tlbs101

Damn lucky! I understand that backpacks are necessary now because there are no more lockers. Why? Because of a routine search something illegal was found and the kid was charged. Yammerhead parents sued school district for illegal search and seizure in the kids "own" locker saying the school did not own it! Idiot courts agreed - so in effect lockers are banned. Never mind the schools PAID for the lockers, never mind that growing children now have their backs permanently ruined.. There should be a multi-billion lawsuit against school districts on that basis; this should permanently close down state funded schools and allow parents to make private arrangements for schooling (thereby saving taxes and associated waste).

Reply to
Robert Baer