pricing

Some companies are determined to not give pricing for their products. They want to know what it will be used for, how many we'll need, when we'll need them. Then they say that someone else, maybe a rep, will contact us about pricing, and the silly dance starts over.

I give up. If they don't want to sell stuff, that's OK with me.

lunatic fringe electronics

Don't you know that they are trying to "help you"? LOL

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

Den tirsdag den 28. marts 2017 kl. 17.59.26 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:

I'm guessing it is similar to how the Wells Fargo scandal started someone decided that everyones pay and job should be determined solely by how many names they can put on a list

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Tell them that right before you hang up. It's how you influence their behavior.

--
Tim Wescott
I'm looking for work!  See my website if you're interested

Distributor and rep agreements can get byzantine. Some of the folderol could well come from the company in question having an agreement with its reps and/or distributors that force it to steer sales to certain reps by volume or industry, or they know that certain reps are better with small- volume sales, etc.

But, yes, saying "clearly you don't want to sell to me, I'll find a manufacturer who will" and then hanging up may be effective in the long term.

--
Tim Wescott
I'm looking for work!  See my website if you're interested
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Maybe there is a new marketing-droid that believes the stuff they are taught in college, and doesn't understand real world motivations.

Maybe they only want customers that they can schmooze and bamboozle. If done in tangible ways, the schmoozing is probably OK, but expecting an engineer to be bamboozled is unrealistic.

I did once have a salesman who asked me whether my boss preferred rugby or football. I said skiing; and my boss and I had a good laugh about how the droid thought he could win an order.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Snail mail to the CEO is also good.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Masses of companies are like that. It's such a waste of time. I prefer to buy elsewhere, though that's not always the practical option.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Most companies won't deal with direct qouting on silly low quantities like yours probably are (no offence)

They keep the low price of the parts by using distributors and you benefit from that. Meaning that the distributor can source parts in very high volume and distribute some of those to you

In the daily work when you just buy stuff you will only be dealing with the distributor FAE

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
klaus.kragelund

These companies will often send a Sample if the number is really low.

Otherwise I deal with distributors.

Mind you if Klaus wants 10,000 of some part then the manufacturer's rep should be able to give him a price.

Hopefully the part he wants is not unique - single source.

John

Reply to
John Robertson

Often, they want to get a feel for *possible* uses of their products (so they know which other customers they can bring the product THAT YOU HAVE IDENTIFIED to their attention). I see this a lot with vaporware products... "to be released RSN" (or, maybe NEVER)

Start the conversation by asking for their "rightmost column" price. Then, asking them to identify the corresponding quantity and lead time. Don't leave "contact" information (i.e., when this conversation is over,

*I* will decide if we have an ongoing relationship)
Reply to
Don Y

One time when I worked for a music equipment retailer we had a good customer who wanted to buy about $5k worth of gear from us he needed for a tour he was going on. Needed it drop-shipped post-haste, he was getting on a plane in 48 hours.

We called the distributor that had the goods only to find out there was some problem with our dealer agreement. "Ok we understand, sorry about that, but can we get that fixed up today? This guy wants to make a big purchase and..."

"Sorry, takes three days to process." Wouldn't do it. Customer was forced to buy from another company, and the distributor made $0.

ok.

Reply to
bitrex

We buy around a million dollars a year in parts.

Distributors are no problem. They WANT to sell. It's the outfits without distributors who are sometimes hard to get prices from.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

That's very low volume, remember it's distributed across all your part numbers. We buy about 50 million USD per year, and I consider that low also

I have never had that problem. Guess it's because your volume is so low

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

Your impact on the distributor is in the noise floor. Some of our very high running parts only represent 0.1% of the total volume of the part

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

We do get a lot of visits, from distributors and often factory people. TI, Linear Tech, like that. Intel/Altera is coming next week to talk us out of using Xilinx. We actually have to turn some away, to get work done.

Once a factory person shows up, eval boards become free.

They generally don't know what my volume will be. And if they have a

1-piece price, why won't they reveal what that is?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Then they ought to say "We are not interested in you. Pleas see yourt local street-corner taco stand or where ever you fence your stuff.

--
quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
-- Juvenal

Do you think the manufacturer has a 1-piece price? They can't tell the disty what to charge for that 1-piece, either.

Reply to
krw

You are only going to be a serious influence if you had been planning on buying a lot of the stuff. And if you had been planning that, you would already be calling to discuss prices to argue for a rebate, even if the prices were published.

Like everyone else, I always prefer to see prices as early as possible. And for off-the-shelf parts, it is particularly annoying.

But many things are not sold off-the-shelf - the cost for the manufacturer can be a complex calculation, and the cost to the customer may reflect that.

Reply to
David Brown

If you end up in a voice menu system, does the computer get the sales commission?

Reply to
doh