TI's pricing

Does anyone know why TI's site shows a rather significant price difference between it and distributers? Such as saying 0.5$ in 1k while on digikey it is 0.78$ in 2.5k. Usually about twice as much. Although I have seen on arrow an actually drop from the specified 2$ price down to 1$(for an STP component which seems impossible to find ;/).

So, how can I get the price listed on TI's web site? Or are these just "estimates" to reel you in?

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

Digikey is one level away from TI, the maker. Usually there is a doubling of price between levels (Digikey is probably buying at about .4 in larger quantities).

Find/contact TI and get a field sales rep on the line. He/she will tell you what you need to buy directly from them. Usually it is quantity that is the issue (they may want to sell you more than you want to get.)

That is what I do for some of the components we use--we end up buying many months of a given item because the price break is such that it pays us to store them until used.

Reply to
PeterD

About what quantities do you get from them? I might be interested in around

1k to 2k at a time but not significantly more.
Reply to
Jon Slaughter

What's your EAU?

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

That price is probably only available to direct account customers....

Reply to
TTman

Digikey's prices are astronomical. We get far better prices through real distys, even in low(ish) quantities. They almost always beat Digikey by 40% or better and they usually come in less than the manufacturer's web site. Digikey's online catalog is nice though.

Distys help us out a lot, have lower prices, and take us out to lunch once in a while. Why bother with DigiKey? Ok, once in a while for breadboard stuff...

Reply to
krw

A reel is usually the interesting quantity break. Depending on the part 1-2K may be enough.

Reply to
krw

Mmmm... I buy and import into the UK some of their Amp (Digikey)connectors. I save over 60%, nett. They must be doing something right...They have also had stock of certain parts when the UK has nothing. They serve a purpose.

Reply to
TTman

I tend to go with mouser but they can be a bit pricey too... but nothing like digikey. They won't even let you sort by price ;/

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

difference=20

digikey it=20

arrow=20

component=20

Digitkey is too expensive, they used to be cheap 20-30years ago. =20

Reply to
Richardson

Yeah, thats most likely what it is. They can't really control the distributers markup.

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

There's a greasemonkey (firefox plugin) script that will add 'sort by price' to Digikey. It can also do clever things like ignore low unit prices for absurd quantities.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Reply to
Ben Jackson

Nice I'll have to try that.

Use "cuttape" and" bulk" in your search filter that will get rid of all the industrial quantities;)

Reply to
Hammy

Cool. Thanks for mentioning. Might come in handy if I ever get forced to buy from them.

Reply to
Jon Slaughter