Poll: electrolytic capacitors

What brand do you guys like to use in your large volume products, specifically Al electrolytics? What offers the best reliability/capacity/price bang for the buck these days?

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Panasonic, Nichicon, United Chem-Con, Vishay Sprague seem to be good.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Usually Panasonic but also at times Chemi-Con and Nichicon. Once in a blue moon I use Rubycon but they're expensive so only for special purposes (they make nice Alpo parts).

Reply to
krw

Any statement that combines "electrolytic cap", "best" and "bang" makes me nervous.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Would you rather replace "electrolytic" with "tantalum"? ;-)

Reply to
krw

Tantalums are very reliable if used properly. They don't dry out, or freeze out, like aluminum lytics.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

We used them by the bucket-load in IBM. Not so much since. People are afraid of 'em. As you noted in another post, as long as you derate them by 2-3x, they're OK. However, at times the manufacturers lose the recipe and disaster happens. I use mostly ceramic now, but it's not hard to find aluminums rated from -40C to +125C.

Reply to
krw

And if you accidentally drag a grounded O-scope probe across a board that's connected to the hot wire, they throw these really pretty flaming bits around the lab.

(I didn't work for Intel for long, but when I was in the lab, people LEFT ME ALONE :) )

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

You know ive done that trick with the scope probe ground more times than id Like to admit. I had a thought the other day. How well would the scope work with 100 ohms in series with the ground clip. That would protect against many oooopsies. Im gonna try it.

Mark

Reply to
makolber

That is so funny. Thanks.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Heh!

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

How about a small wire lead 1/8 amp fuse in the ground lead? Or even better, an isolation transformer to separate ground and neutral to your system under test?

Reply to
Tom Miller

They are fine at 1x rated voltage as long as peak current is limited. Like timing circuits or something, or bypassing current-limited rails. On serious power rails, derate 2:1 or so.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I've been using some Panasonic SMT electrolytics in the several thousand pieces quantity, and had good luck with them. These are all in their EEE series.

For places where a tantalum would be used, I use OxiCaps. Tantalums sometimes fail after being left unpowered for a few years, and can then burn if used to bypass a stiff power supply. I've had no problems with the OxiCaps, and have used a few thousand of them, too. (Some of our gear runs in vacuum, and that isn't too compatible with aluminum electrolytics.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

"Joe Master", you didn't say ANYTHING about what you were actually aiming for. A thirty day warranty "Joe Master" is perfectly fine.

Reply to
David Eather

Even if current limited, they will fail short. They may not catch fire but it's still a failure. Of course we had 1KA supplies behind them so fires could be spectacular, particularly when the innerplane short grew large enough.

Reply to
krw

We've used over 150,000 tantalums in the last 10 years, and they are very reliable when used right.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

With a 2-3x derating, sure. ...at lest until they lose the recipe again, as happens every so often.

Reply to
krw

Check, but i would put the Vishay first with Panasonic and Nichicon more-or-less tied for second.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Good for electronic "dogs"?

Reply to