Re: What type of Electrolytic Capacitors to Buy

Now I'm seeing things like Low ESR (which I had to google for the

> meaning). Does a circuit like this need Low ESR caps? The ones that > dont mention ESR?, or dont it matter for this use? > > Then there's temperature ratings. This converter dont get extremely > hot, but when the cover is on, it gets warm. What should the minimum > temperature rating be for this project?
** I feel your pain .......

If at all possible - go for Panasonic or Nichicon brand, low ESR types in

105C rating.

You will probably have to order them from Digikey or Mouser.

Make sure to get the same physical sizes as well as DC voltage and uF ratings.

BTW

I have found it a great advantage to remove ALL power from set top boxes when not in actual use.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Nichicon and Sanyo OSCON are good.

I have two deal motherboards with cap failure. I've been distributing the ram and CPU to others as upgrades since I'm too lazy to attempt to replace the fat caps.

In general, caps are best served while leaving the device powered IF the supply is linear. If it is a switcher, I would be inclined to turn the device off when not in use.

Reply to
miso

Yah...'cause they are ALWAYS on.

Reply to
Robert Baer

..and all of the new "electronics" uses switchers.

Reply to
Robert Baer