Truth brand electrolytic capacitors

Now, there is something I haven't seen before. Electrolytics that bulge and leak goo without any applied voltage. Probably useful for ultra-short product warranties.

-- Jeff Liebermann snipped-for-privacy@cruzio.com

150 Felker St #D
Santa Cruz CA 95060
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I trust they weren't sitting in the sun or some other heat source?

I've seen similar results with NOS computer motherboards where several caps did the bulge without being powered up for many years...

John :-#(#

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

They're not my caps, so I don't know the history. They were in a plastic bin, probably indoors in his "lab". I don't see overheating as a possible culprit. Heating might have melted the plastic bin before it affected the capacitors.

I haven't, but I don't stock new motherboards. Note that the defective Truth caps still have their long leads and have obviously not been used in any device.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

I had two NOS motherboards (roughly 2005 vintage) shipped to me for repairing an old KIP scanner/printer computer - it had to have specific vintage motherboard. The boards had never been used as far as I could tell (and the company selling to me is reputable), but both boards had the same bulging caps.

John :-#)#

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

Your URL's have a missing "w". Fixed:

The motherboard kinda looks like something I would expect to find in a

2005 vintage Dell desktop. I'm not at the office, but I think I have quite a pile of those KZG caps from United Chemi-Con. Hmm... they look legitimate. I wonder what went wrong? Counterfeit caps perhaps? I'll compare with your photo when I have time.
--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Nice! I wonder how well they worked when they were new, or if they're even really capacitors at all.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Thanks for fixing the link URLs (opps!).

I think while the caps may well have been legit this was from the counterfeit electrolyte period...

John :-#)#

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

Y'know what ? I bet they all test good ! I shit you not. We've all seen leaky and/or bulging lytics that are good and bad ones that look perfectly normal. Not that I would use them actually, but they probably do test good.

I remember the ones leaking electrolyte all ove the boards in Mitssubishi TVs, they were almost all perfectly good. Not even leaky, which is a bit surprising since the gunk soaked into the phenolic made it quite conductive.

Reply to
jurb6006

Am 17.02.2014 03:36, schrieb Jeff Liebermann:

Not a new problem...

look at these caps:

They are now about 20 years old (so well befor the "plague"), a known good brand, stored in normal inhouse condition. Some are still dry and in specs, other from the same batch are looking like those in the pics, but they are not bulging or corroding on the top...

Jorgen

Reply to
Lund-Nielsen, Jorgen

Before the CURRENT plague. Those look like what was in Mitsubishi TVs.

Those babies leaked conductive goop all over the board, yet were not electrically leaky themselves. Go figure.

Reply to
jurb6006