Leaking electrolytic capacitors

Here's a more complete listing of manufacturers who have had/are having quality issues with electrolytic capacitors.

In case this site gets nuked, here are the listed manufacturers:

Commonly failed capacitor brands

  • Tayeh (A brand that does not appear to exist, indicating the actual manufacturers were wary of putting their name on their product; and probably a fake of "Ta-Keh", a genuine maker of high-end capacitors for audio equipment, used by Denon) * Chhsi * Teapo (Teapo has denied these claims, and evidence suggests their new capacitors are sound, however their older ones appear to suffer from the same problems other brands do) * I.Q. * Rulycon (A clone of "Rubycon", a well-known manufacturer of high-quality capacitors, right down to the exact style of the cases and the fonts used for lettering) * JPCON * Jackcon (The only capacitor manufacturer to own up to their mistake; they are also the only one to issue free replacement capacitors to people who had theirs fail. Their new products appear to be of greater quality.) * JDEC * CTC * (G) Luxon (also G-Luxon) * Gloria * Raycon * Hermei * Choyo * GSC * Nrsy (only with X-shaped vents. The new NRSY capacitors have K vents and are a genuine, high-quality Nippon-made part.) * Fuhjyyu (found in Antec power supplies to this day)

As of May 2005, some evidence

shows that the failing Nichicon capacitors on the iMac, Intel, and Dell boards are due to a different problem (specifically, overfilling the capacitors with electrolyte) than the one discussed on this page (faulty electrolyte formula). However, the symptoms (both the effects on the system and the physical appearance of the capacitors) are the same as the other failing capacitors, as is how to identify them, and the required repair.

(I've actually seen a Dell P4 motherboard that had failing Nichicon parts!)

Reply to
JW

Hey ! Good for business...

Reply to
kip

"This article has been removed"

I'm typing this on an Asus A7N8X Deluxe that has two visible Nichicon caps that are bad. Both are 3300 uF, 6.3V caps. One is visibly leaking a small amount of orange stuff out the top, the other is beginning to bulge at the top. Neither started showing symptoms during the first two years; the board was put in service 3/30/03 and started showing about a month ago (the bulge-only unit started about three days ago).

I despair of finding 3300 uF in a 1 cm diameter package, so I'm saving my nickels toward another mobo and hoping nothing catastrophic takes out CPU, RAM, etc.

clifto

In message , JW writes

Seen lots, the Dell tech who replaced the two today (under warranty) has seen many more, Dell themselves asked us to try and limit the number of call-outs to five a day or under unless it's unavoidable, so I suspect it's a fairly big problem for them!

--
Clint Sharp
Reply to

It looks like Dell is well aware of the problem. I've personally seen two Dell P4s with bad caps in the power supplies. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@psu.edu

Reply to
Andy Cuffe