Please stop using the white glue !

Today I inspected an older power supply (Seasonic S12, 600 watts version) that was in used at the time when my PC was overheating because of insufficient airflow and too hot graphics cards from nvidia !

Today years later I had to re-use this power supply as the other one failed because of static dicharges from a couch (generator) + shoes (isolator) + human body (transporter).

Before placing this old power supply I decided it was time for an inspection to see dust build up and to inspect the quality of it further.

During this inspection I noticed to my surprise there was glue in it at the bottom, which I did not expect. From looking through the grids this was not visible, only by opening it up was it visible.

To make slight horror this glue was slightly pinkish. Possibly from heat and/or oxidation.

The heat probably came from HOT cpu and VERY HOT GPUs (sli system).

So today I came to the amazing conclusion/finding that not only the power supply itself could be dangerous to the glue, but external components (with respect to the power supply) could also be sources of HEAT.

The HEAT gets sucked into the POWER SUPPLY.

If this GLUE goes BROWN it could become and probably will become CONDUCTIVTY.

This can cause dangerous short ciruits. Damage electronics, perhaps even kill life forms, like humans, cats, dogs, etc.

This GLUE has me worried and concerned.

A sales guy even called it "cooling paste" ?! Are you kidding me ?!

If possible, stop using this "glue stuff".

Try to find another solution to tighten those electronic components against transport damage/vibrations ?!

No ammount of monetary savings is worth killing humans for ! ;)

For web stores and (possibly real stores) I have following advise:

You can give your store an adventage by opening up electronic devices, taking digital pictures of them, and putting them online.

This allows your customers to inspect electronic devices for flaws and things they may not like like GLUE. Then your customer can decide if he/she still wants it. Hiding the thruth is not going to give you much or any adventage on the contrary.

Also you can alter your offerings and only select "glueless devices" for sale. (Or you can offer both and let the consumer decide).

Also to prevent yourself from liability lawsuits in the case of customer death.

Law enforcement may also want to investigate this matter further in the case of unexplained deaths of people behind computers, inspect the glue of electronics and look for brown glue.

Bye, Skybuck Flying.

Reply to
skybuck2000

SF refering the "thermal paste" ?

Reply to
ARM

Gotta move this troll's feeding dish move to basics if he doesn't know from glue and thermal paste.

He may have meant the glue they put on the bottom of the board after its ma nufacturer. That is manly there to keep the solder joints from oxidizing an d the types they use today do not become conductive. It also has the added side effect of making the unit harder to service.

Reply to
jurb6006