White displays?

Has anyone ever seen any white led 7 segment displays?

Do they exist?

Reply to
Michael

Blue LED certainly exists (I reviewed Lite-On LTS-5501AB here in this newsgroup several years ago) but I've yet to see white, even though the semiconductor technology should be similar.

Numitrons have nearly-white segments, especially at 7V, but the filaments tend to burn out quick if you run them there :-).

I've also seen 7-segment displays built with 4-foot flourescent tubes!

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

Just a thought:

The normal white LED is really a blue one pumping a phosphor. If this same phosphor was made part of plastic sheet over the face of the display you may get a white display.

I'm thinking of paints like "international orange" that usually contain frequency down converting materials. When you add some blue directly from the LED, you will see white.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Forge europa uk

TT_Man

put a yellow fluorescent filter in front of a blue one?

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen