OT: "Western Culture Has Died a Politically-Correct Death" (2023 Update)

The non-college-grad deplorables grow our food, truck it to us, generate our electricity, provide us gas and water, build our houses and schools.

Without them, the smug coastal elites would be eating one another in five weeks.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

rephrase 'hang the workers out to dry' as 'are no longer able to give them a job' or 'cease paying them'

+1. Time after time unions have made commercial situations unworkable, the result being to lose everyone's job. Too much union power does not serve the interest of the workers.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

We have to pay unemployment insurance, and our rate goes up if we have to lay people off, for any reason. So we can create hundreds of person-years of jobs, and we are punished if we can't keep doing it. Some kind of "thanks."

I would argue that no union power helps workers. It wasn't unions that created the 5-day week with vacations, or safe jobs, or high wages. It was technology and productivity. Labor unions are always opposed to productivity.

Trade unions are sometimes good, if they enforce quality and productivity standards among their members. Often they do. I think the difference is that a trade union does not usually have a single, constant employer.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Wow, well the history of management/ labor (union) conflicts is bloody and abusive. Labor is always going to push against productivity, when it comes to 'short cuts' that threaten life and limb.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Labor unions push against productivity because the bosses always want more compulsory dues-paying members. It's all about power and money.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Are you taking Slowman lessons?

Apparently so.

Reply to
krw

ricity ... that's nice, but not

IS essential

unch

hen

rs

ors.

ate

China is growing faster than all of them, Catch-up is easier than growing f rom scratch.

Or too hard to do it they way they like doing it.

They do need some unskilled labour, which they can get cheap locally. The s killed labour that they can't get locally they can import.

Jim Thompson wasn't but he left. John Larkin ditto. If you aren't a dumb hi llbilly you can frequently make more money by movin g out of the south.

US employers aren't known for working with trade unions, rather than fighti ng them. In Germany trade unions have representatives on the secondary boar ds controlling the companies where they are active.

US business is scared silly of trade unions. In the UK they'd make concessi ons to workers councils that UK firms wouldn't, purely to avoid having to r ecognise a trade union. They can't imagine that they could have anything to gain from cooperating with a trade union, which is even sillier.

And others are desperate enough to make foolish concessions.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Some of them may. Less than 2% of the US work force is directly involved in agriculture

and the bulk of the food is grown in the mid-west, not the south.

Cursitor Doom's idea of what everybody could get by "just fine" without - transport, shelter, healthcare? - does seem to reflect his cognitive deficits, which are numerous and spectacular.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

telligent people can often play dumb too. I guess that's just life.

Sci.electronics.design seem to be blessed with more than it's fair share - Cursitor Doom, NT and krw. John Larkin isn't an idiot, though he does trot out a lot of stupid ideas, very few of them his own, which he gets from rep orts that anybody less gullible would have rejected as implausible.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Or say they found something, like Pencil-Neck still claims.

You mean like Obama? You're probably right though. They're all over Trump for separating children from families at the border, even though it was an Obama policy. There's no pleasing leftists so don't try.

I wouldn't bet on it though. He is a Catholic and probably gives a substantial amount, though not where the lefties would want, obviously.

Reply to
krw

Neither does too little. Setting up a "commercial situation" which stops being commercial when you have to pay your work force enough to keep them alive isn't exactly sustainable.

Employers do dream of having totalitarian control over their work force, but it doesn't work any better than giving workers (in the form of the Communist Party) totalitarian control over the means of production.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

It doesn't matter that you find the truth to be insulting, AlwaysWrong. It's still the truth.

You're such a charitable soul, AlwaysWrong.

Reply to
krw

Your insult didn't change the fact that you're wrong, AlwaysWrong.

Reply to
krw

Too late.

Reply to
krw

nd

em a job' or 'cease paying them'

The kind of "thanks" that discourages unsustainable expansion. You'd have t o pay a lot more out in unemployment insurance if that particular feedback wasn't there.

he result being to lose everyone's job. Too much union power does not serve the interest of the workers.

That is the kind of silly idea that John Larkin is prepared to defend.

The very limited time I spend as the lowest sort of trade union representat ive was mostly spent arguing that union members had been unfairly treated b y some idiot in the personnel department. And the union members did end up being helped.

, or > high wages. It was technology and productivity.

But once technology and productivity had made it possible, it took trade un ions to get the employers to spend some of their extra profits on these imp rovements.

Not remotely true. Management is always trying to squeeze more production o ut of workers, and present exploitation as improved productivity (which the trade unions rightly object to) but trade unions are generally happy to ne gotiate a smooth transition to a less labour intensive manufacturing proces s, while management wants an excuse to fire everybody and install a new - a nd more naive - bunch of suckers.

Employers are rarely single identifiable people. Mostly a company is run by a hierarchy, and trade unions spend a lot of their time persuading the bot tom levels of that hierarchy to behave fairly and considerately. It's their main job.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Krw doesn't read the newspapers. It's not just lefties who disapprove of Trump using his charitable foundation to spend money to further his own interests.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Ah, the US Farming Expert.

"Despite agriculture's rural nature, 61 percent of hired farmworkers reside in metro (urban) counties."

Farming stuff like corn and wheat is heavily automated and will become only more so. Farmers don't like paying workers any more than anyone else does. That stuff is grown primarily in the Midwest and the Great Plains.

The labor intensive fruits and vegetables are primarily in the far west, Arizona, California, Oregon. Nearly 1/3rd of farm workers live in guess where - California!

Reply to
bitrex

Nearly 1/3rd of all (US citizen) farm workers and agriculture employees reside in California and Oregon, sillybutt.

Direct mining, oil, and gas jobs employ less than 1% of the US population.

There are many full and part-time teamsters, short, and long-haul truck drivers living in every state in the country. I listen to the trucker radio show on XM most days the call-ins come from all over. and a fair number went to college, too.

Reply to
bitrex

JL is trying to make it a class thing like the Democrats represent the wealthy urban snobs and the Republicans the honest, hard working salt of the earth types.

New England is full of wealthy Republicans who roll Benzes and 70k trucks and live in high end luxury homes and condos. The love Trump, too. They don't give a f*ck about those people or where their food is grown.

Reply to
bitrex

Granting that krw thinks that what he believes is always true.

Other people have less idiosyncratic ideas about what constitutes "truth"

He is. He didn't specify how you ought to die. "Slowly" wasn't mentioned.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to