Politicaly correct?

This is from an rss feed today.

On Wednesday, the IEEE Computer Society announced to members that, after April 1, it would no longer accept papers that include a frequently used image of a 1972 Playboy model named Lena Forsén. The so-called "Lenna image," (Forsén added an extra "n" to her name in her Playboy appearance to aid pronunciation) has been used in image processing research since

1973 and has attracted criticism for making some women feel unwelcome in the field.

Why? What could possibly be demeaning about a (above the shoulders) female photo!

Reply to
jim whitby

The full photo is ahh ... fuller.

.

And she is famous in image processing. I doubt that the IEEE can change that.

War story: Maybe ten years ago, my wife and I took my 15-yo nephew to Sweden, where I had lived and have friends. We were walking through a park near Stockholm's City Hall, where the grassy plaza is lined with many bronze beauties in full glory. My Swedish friend stopped at one of the beauties and commented that the model for that particular statue was the mother of one of his childhood friends. Nephew was floored.

So Lena is likely perplexed by the IEEE.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

There is a tendency to forget that beautiful women are just people like the rest of us. A woman whom I knew as a folk dancer and the mother of two children once said to me: "If you wonder what I look like naked, go and see the statue in xxx Town Hall, I was the model for it.

Reply to
Liz Tuddenham

Yes. Exactly.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

There is this attitude, especially in the US and muslim countries, that nudity is reprehensible, more so than physical violence. This is weird and borderline insane.

The problem is that if you've been raised in that environment, it's almost impossible to change.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

Not much to do with "attitudes about nudity."

a) Use of the image in this context violated copyright to begin with

b) She asked people to stop using it

c) It has no unique value as a test case for image processing in the

21st century, was used for (dumb) historical reasons only.

I can't say about Muslim countries, but Americans that well-understand the concept of "consent" and "bodily autonomy" are fairly rare.

Much more common are citizens that would of course ruthlessly defend what they figure is "theirs", but figure anyone who isn't them (women and children induced) is fair game to be touched, prodded, poked, grabbed, commented on, have their pictures and videos re-posted, and lives generally pried into until the end of time.

And tend to find the idea that even if consent is given, that it can be unilaterally revoked at some later time particularly galling.

That is to say I think the reason we don't have many nude beaches here finally has less to do with some abstract concept of Puritanism (given how many habitual adulterers we've had as President that seems laughable), and more to do with that the number of men who'd show up just to try to grab every boobie in sight, then run home and grab a handgun and open fire on everyone there if a woman tried to say "no", is large.

Reply to
bitrex

Not surprised that the practice developed at USC; mixing business and pleasure is the "California Style" style of engineering, like wearing ratty T-shirts and cargo shorts to the office, which also likely has foozball tables, a full bar, 55" video game screen/man cave and on-demand sushi and strippers, and all that.

Not much hardware design goes on in New England anymore but I'm definitely more a fan of the "New England"-style of wearing a shirt and tie to the office and leaving the centerfolds, video games, and generalized baby bullshit at the door.

Reply to
bitrex

The copyright is owned by Playboy Enterprises, who did and does not object. Lena never owned the copyright.

I think that her reason for asking people to stop is quite simple. She is not at all interested in being a football in a US political fight which she knows little and cares nothing about.

Well, I have another war story:

Decades ago, to took a holiday at the Club Med located on the Caribbean island of Guadeloupe. I didn't know it, but they had nude beaches, not for swingers so much as for French tourists (Guadeloupe being a department of France, their Hawaii).

In the middle of the week, an airplane full of French schoolteachers and their families arrived. Next day, there they all were, entire families all baking in the sun, completely naked. Who knew that French Schoolteachers were such a comely lot.

After three days I stopped looking, my neck having worn out from all the swiveling.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

Tribes in hot climates do seem to wear significantly less.

There are reasons other than modesty to want to give one's private some kind of generally more robust shielding, as any tribesman who's taken a low-hanging branch to the nuts might attest

Reply to
bitrex

That's the idea. European attitudes to nudity are so much more relaxed. And you don't grab anyone, just as you wouldn't when they're dressed.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

IEEE sense of humor? There must be a committee for that! Or it might just be an oxymoron.

Reply to
wmartin