Dennis Ritchie, creator of C and more, has died

Dennis Ritchie, creator of C and more, has died

A man who changed the world.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Yes, the news has made the rounds lately. A friend of his writing here:

I bought my copy of "The C Programming Language" in 1978, the year I first worked on the v6 Unix kernel. I still have that copy on the book shelf. The language and the experiences using it changed my life in many ways.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

(sigh) Looks like 2011 is going to be "one of those years". Personally, I've "buried" 5 friends this year. Expect as many as three more by year end. :-(

I always used to marvel at how well I "coped" with "getting older": vision changes, aches and pains, etc. Now, I say the toughest part of getting older is "knowing dead people".

:(

Reply to
Don Y

Jan Panteltje expounded in news:j76ir7$a16$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net:

But plan9 isn't done yet.

Warren

Reply to
Warren

printf("goodbye world");

Reply to
brent

printf("goodbye world");

+++++++

That should be on his headstone!

tm

Reply to
tm

Well, lets get a can of spray paint!

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

My copy 'grew legs' one day... deep sigh.

for both looses,

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Speaking of headstones, does anybody know DeForest Kelly's "official" epitaph? I've heard it's "I'm dead, Jim" but haven't been able to refute or confirm that one way or the other.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I _learned_ C from K&R at my elbow and a coach looking over my shoulder. The coach's prescription for debugging was to load up the program with printfs, and he didn't like "for" loops. For an infinite loop, he recommended "while 1"; "for (;;)" does the same thing with fewer instructions. (it compiles to an unconditional "jump.")

Nowadays, since I finally learned to write my code right, I only need printfs when I actually need something printed, and usually I try to avoid them; I hear the printf library function is quite a behemoth; it takes less resources to simply build a string and "puts" it.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

A modern compiler would have no problem compiling for(;;){}, while(1){}, and for that matter

foo: {} goto foo;

into the same machine code.

Debuggers are like logic analyzers--they aren't normally necessary, but when you're stuck, there's absolutely no substitute.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Isn't that printf("goodbye world\n");

Anyway, apparently everything computery was invented by Steve Jobs. Just ask the media.

I kid you not, I met a fanboi that thought Apple invented MP3. Not merely the player, but the data format too.

Reply to
miso

What do you expect from anyone who has drank some "Apple flavored KoolAide"?

Michael A. Terrell

It is an LCD headstone, programmed in C.

Reply to
TheQuickBrownFox

For whatever it's worth, I was using MSC 5.0; it has a "show me the assembler source" option, and "while (1)" compiles to a test, comparing

1 to 0, THEN makes a conditional jump. "for(;;)" compiles to a jump.

Maybe they've fixed that by now - it was about twenty-five years ago.

But these days, I guess almost nobody actually writes real code any more, they just pass objects around or some shit.

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

ha,

I think he forgot to invent a different symbol .. something like /nu for next universe instead of next line.

Reply to
brent

The fact that you do not know one way or the other is quite a tell.

Reply to
OutsideObserver

On a sunny day (Thu, 13 Oct 2011 15:08:28 -0700 (PDT)) it happened brent wrote in :

Actually you want printf("goodbye world\n"); At least in Unix, without the '\n', the buffers will not be emptied, and you'd see nothing. Or if you did it in a loop, with a whole lot of printf()s, at some point it would output some text, when the buffers got full. Or you could specify console output one byte at the time setbuf(stdout, NULL); before you start calling printf().

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

miso schrieb:

Hello,

did you tell him that MP3 was not invented in the USA? It was invented here in Erlangen, Germany.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

Would that be one from the seventies?