OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world - Page 12

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world

Judging solely from that link, it appears to be a TV show for popular
science.  As a famous popular scientist, well-known figure and good
public speaker, I'd say Asimov is eminently qualified.  There is no
indication that he was the person writing the science here - merely the
person presenting it or translating it into layman's terms.

It would a different matter if he were presenting his own unqualified
and unsubstantiated opinions as "science".

The second picture - which is not written by Asimov - is clearly
inaccurate.  Asimov did not suggest that you had a saw-tooth pattern,
merely that it is basically cyclic (which is true).

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world

It's kind of similar to James Lovelock's "Gaia Hypothesis" which is
interesting to think about but most scientists are pretty skeptical of.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaia_hypothesis#Criticism_in_the_21st_century

"Daisyworld" works pretty good in a computer simulation but the real
world isn't made up of daisies of varying reflectiveness it's not even
spherical-cow-in-vacuum close to a realistic model.

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world

If Trump wanted to do something I would approve of he could put Pilgrim
generating station under Federal control as a resource vital to national
security and fire all the dummies running the place, maybe "Neon John"
would like to run it as a hobby project, yeah he's a jerk but probably
doesn't drink on the job.

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world

There used to be much less ice than today about 1000 years ago:

http://www2.sunysuffolk.edu/mandias/lia/vikings_during_mwp.html

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world
eenland-is-literally.html

Less ice around the Atlantic. Denialist web-sites (and John Larkin, who is
pretty much one of them) claim that the Medieval Warm period and the Little
 Ice Age were global, when the average temperature of the globe (as recorde
d in isotope ratios in ice cores) actually stayed pretty stable.

Ocean currents do seem to have been moving around - like the El Nino/La Nin
a alternation but over at least multidecadal time scales.

The Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_multidecadal_oscillation

was only identified in 1994. Something even slower would be even harder to
nail down.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world
On 22 Mar 2018 19:26:34 -0700, Winfield Hill

Cover your head, the sky is falling.

                                        ...Jim Thompson
Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world
enland-is-literally.html

Jim-out-of-touch-with-reality-Thompson gets it exactly wrong. The story is
actually about the sea rising - though Fox News doesn't know enough about t
he science involved to realise that if you've got enough water under an ice
 sheet, it can slide off into the ocean in large chunks (which ice sheets h
ave been known to do).

Greenland is supporting six metres worth of sea level rise. The ice doesn't
 have to melt in place to raise the sea level - as soon as it slides off in
to the sea it will do the job.

So it's put on your wellies, the sea is rising.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world

Wonderful

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world

I'm wearing a life jacket as I type.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2018/03/22/a-geological-perspective-of-the-greenland-ice-sheet/

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Got Knock? - see:
Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs (among other things) http://www.viatrack.ca

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

---

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world
Boris Mohar wrote...

 I'm not 100% sure (must re-read), but I think he
 was saying you can take the life jacket off.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world
On 24 Mar 2018 05:51:18 -0700, Winfield Hill

It sure looks like the ice mostly sits on a concave bedrock structure.
It's not going to slide anywhere.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world

Well, you got the lunatic part right.  Yes, many ice structures sit on concave bedrock, but there is often a lake of water beneath them.  So it's not at all unlike the water flume at King's Dominion!

Rick C.

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world
enland-is-literally.html
eenland-ice-sheet/

What Anthony Watts has - predictably - ignored is that the interesting thin
g about ice sheets is that they can slide off into the ocean.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/mar/22/sea-level-rise-james-hansen
-climate-change-scientist

The bottom of the North Atlantic is littered with "accidental" - boulders t
hat fell out of chunks of ice sheet that had slid off into the North Atlant
ic and rafted the boulders out to sea until the ice-berg melted and dumped
the accidentals, so at least some ice sheets slide off and float away.

This raises sea levels quite a lot faster than having the ice sheet melt in
 place.

For some reason, denialist web-sites don't pay much attention to this.

The IPCC doesn't either - to work out if an ice sheet is going to slide off
, you need to know a lot about conditions at the bottom of the ice sheet, w
hich isn't an easily accessible area, so neat predictions aren't practical.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: OT: Greenland is literally cracking apart and flooding the world

I haven't combed through all the postings on this thread so please forgive if the movie "Downsizing" has already been mentioned.

Site Timeline