OT: FCC repeals net neutrality

Well, no.

To what level has it?

Backbone providers have been negotiating bandwidth for decades. That's not neutral. That's just business.

The recent stink is about extending that to the end user: charging them for different types and rates of bandwidth.

Is that "just business", or is that something that will negatively affect you?

If you feel very attached to your one particular cable provider and all their services, go ahead, you won't notice a single thing change... it might even get cheaper for you. (Well, until their monopoly grows and they hike rates because they can, not because they need to. By then it will be too late. The old "good men who do nothing" adage, y'know?)

For those of us who get our knowledge and entertainment from diverse sources, we're screwed. I will have to pay to be different. Which causes knock-on effects as that raises the baseline cost of my business.

And yes, this has been done before, and it's ongoing now. Netflix still pays a premium for their bandwidth. AT&T charges for off-network traffic but 100% discounts on-network traffic to DirecTV (oh, but they're pledging in favor of neutrality, how convenient). In the past, all the big names have discriminated against competitive traffic (I don't remember the list of cases offhand). So far, those were all shot down, but not until months after the damage was done.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Tim Williams

Such failures are not unusual...

A whole lot of old age survival has to do with genetics... and sometimes just luck... I had my heart attack (1996)_after_ admission to hospital with "indigestion".

My numbers...

Cholesterol 149 Triglyceride 69 Cholesterol/HDL Ratio 3.9 HDL Cholesterol 38

LDL Cholesterol, Calculated 97* VLDL Cholesterol 14

As I told the doctors during my recent septic episode, when they were giving the standard BS about palliative care... "Cut the crap. There's a difference between 'living' and 'existing', and I'm not into 'existing'". ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

He spent a year in bed started by gout. Pretty much no exercise at all. He also smoked 40 a day, drunk, well, a lot... His heart was f***ed by lifestyle, not genetics.

The majority of the US and UK is overweight. It is why diabetes has gone up by a factor of 10. Its that simple.

It's a lot. Lack of exercise is a fundamental contributor to type 2 diabetes. Eating too much is the other.

Exercise significantly determines the body weight set point is. The body has evolved to be as efficient as possible. If you are carrying a 50kg backpack, and you see a lion chasing you what do you do? Once the body knows it is doing lots of energy expenditure, it goes, well, is it easier to get a larger food supply, or get rid of the fat? Its why HIIT (high intensity interval training) works.

"Women with a body mass index (BMI) of 30 kg/m2 have a 28 times greater risk of developing diabetes than do women of normal weight. The risk of diabetes is 93 times greater if the BMI is 35 kg/m2.1 "

These are stunning numbers. Its not a shit 20% increase. Its *causal*.

The cause:

The cure:

Most are in denial and lazy.

Average calorie intake has went up 500 cal over the last 40 years or so.

Fat at 0.125 per cal, its 62.5 gms of fat. If all stored, its 22kg per year. Its a health disaster .

Its in UK units which is mmol/l. Should be below 2.4 mmol/l

imo, statins is a 30 billion $cam. Diet and exercise fixes pretty much any need for statins.

-- Kevin Aylward

- SuperSpice

Kevin Aylward

No, for government to grab control of the Internet.

Reply to
krw

AlwaysWrong is, of course, _always_ wrong.

Reply to
krw

Gout isn't caused by the lack of exercise. Nothing to do with the discussion, at all.

Diabetes has nothing to do with it, either.

Far less than choosing the right parents.

We aren't discussing lions, either.

Again, we aren't discussing diabetes (or lions).

Bullshit.

Reply to
krw

Exactly my point.

My numbers...

Cholesterol 145 Triglyceride 47 Cholesterol/HDL Ratio ? HDL Cholesterol 63

LDL Cholesterol, Calculated 73 VLDL Cholesterol 9

My total cholesterol was 225 but the HDL was 45, so they weren't all that worried about it, right up until they did the catheter angiogram. Two arteries 100% blocked, one 90% and another 80% changed their mind fast.

Much of what modern medicine does is "quality of life" rather than extending life. I just had my third catheter ablaition (at $100K a pop) because the arrhythmia is a PITA, not because it's particularly dangerous. They'd just as soon leave it alone.

Reply to
krw

Depletion of minerals can induce electrical malfunction. Too much stress on tissues and chemistry. Nothing to do with arteries. I had a friend who went from poor circulation to great. I think he also started to take inhibitors, yet he died in his sleep.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Oh dear.... I did not say that Dah.....

My brother couldn't/didn't walk because of the *pain* of Gout. He took to his bed because of it. Essentially, his heart atrophied because he did zero exercise for a year. He lived in his bed. His smoking also doubled his chance of getting heart disease.

Your reply seems logically unrelated to what I have wrote.

Exercise is crucial in getting a strong heart and exercise is crucial in reducing the risk of diabetes.

You appear to be saying that I am claiming that a weak heart is directly related to diabetes, which I am not.

Bollocks if you mean genetics. Fine if you mean that bad parents feed their kids sweets, fries and pastries, and let them stay in their rooms 12 hours a day playing Doom rather than football.

Genetics have not changed in the last 50 years to account for the massive increase in obesity and diabetes. 50 years ago hardly anyone was obese. Sure, there are different likelihoods of the effects of overeating due to genetics, but non of that that even remotely accounts for the obesity crises we have today. Its a simple calculation for an engineer, what is stored is input - output.

I posted a link that showed that BMI > 30 is 28 times more likely to get you diabetes, BMI > 35 is 92 times more likely to get diabetes. I posted a link that showed that 86% of those with type 2 diabetes that lost

15kg in a year had it go into remission.

Being fat as a cause of diabetes is just as strong as smoking causes lung cancer. It is a self inflicted condition which the vast majority want to make an "its not my fault" excuse for. Diabetes costs the UK NHS 10% of its

costs per year. For the USA, the costs are rated in the 100s of billions $ range.

For example, for dinner I eat a large half plate of veg, a piece of chicken and a piece of salmon. Its around 500 calories. A McD's muffin is 500 calories. You only need 2,000 day. Get the point?

End of story.

I am pointing out the evolutionary arguments as to why techniques like HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) actually work. I am discussing health and fitness, brought on by noting Win's preference to grilled chicken rather than crispy chicken. It struck a chord with me.

I am discussing health and fitness, it makes a change from Trump. If you don't want to discuss this, go away. Grilled chicken is reduced calories from crispy chicken, which reduces the chance of getting fat, which reduces the chance of getting type 2 diabetes, which reduces the chance of going blind, having your fingers amputated and a whole host of really nasty disease like cancer.

I appreciate your well reasoned arguments.

-- Kevin Aylward

- SuperSpice

Kevin Aylward

Actually they are "unusually" in that the probability of this happening is actually quite low. It?s in the media because its notable, not because it?s that common.

See below link.

I never run more than 5km at a time. Hint:

"82% of of the runners in the study showed stage 1 acute kidney injury"

Sure, genetics can play a major factor in ones health. However, essentially, fatness, for the vast bulk of the population is not a genetic condition. When I was at school, there was literally, only one ?fat kid?. Go and look at photos of schools in the 20s, 30s, 40s, 60s. No fat kids. Evolution Selection and Mutation just hasn?t changed diddly squat in 50 years to account for today. Simple maths does. One needs to explain why an increase of 500 calories a day, with reduction in exercise does not result in massive weight gain.

Need to convert yours to EU standard. These were non fasting results, about

1-2 hours after breakfast

Triglycerides 0.7 mmol/L Cholesterol 4.1 mmol/L HDL Cholesterol 1.3 mmol/L Total/HDL Cholesterol ratio 3.15 LDL Cholesterol 2.48 mmol/L Non-HDL Cholesterol 2.8 mmol/L Glucose (random plasma) 4.2 mmol/L

I agree.

-- Kevin Aylward

- SuperSpice

Kevin Aylward

That *was* the discussion. Gout is a red herring.

Smoking is what killed him.

No, 2/3rds of your post was a red herring. I was pointing that out.

Of course. There is a limit and there are other issues with excessive exercise but those, too, are red herrings.

No, I'm saying that it is has nothing to do with the discussion at hand.

No bollocks. Genetics.

Again, diabetes has ZERO to do with the discussion at hand. You keep changing the subject.

See above.

More red herrings.

Aren't you impressive! You must be at least a Bishop in your religion.

No, you're not. You're changing the subject so you can preen about your religion.

That wasn't the subject. Neither was your new-found religion.

More than they deserved.

Reply to
krw

I don't know about that, I like their Wooppers!, you should see what it has done for me!

I don't look like no wussie! ;)

Reply to
M Philbrook

No it was not the discussion. You just made it up as you went along.

So, you had access to my brother's death report ?

I actually did. No, it was not smoking. Do you understand what happens to astronauts is space in a zero gravity situation?

My brother never got out of bed for a year. What part of bed bound do you not understand?

Muscles atrophy if not used, that includes the heart.

Yes, 26 mile marathons are a disaster.

You took the wrong end of the stick, mate.

Completely delusional. Its the excuse that fat people usually use to absolve them of any hint that getting fat is self inflicted except for those 1% ers with a genuine medical condition.

I already explained below why it can not possibly be genetics.

Fat = 0.125 x calories. Average calorie consumption has gone up 500 calories. End of story.

Its so trivially obvious that too much food and no exercise results in people getting fat that one can only hit one's head at the brick wall at such a stupid idea that it isn't.

Nope. You never paid attention to what was actually being discussed.

Denial of the facts again.

Not for points I am addressing.

So, what Weight/Height ratio and BMI are you? I now suspect that you are one of those that can't deal with reality.

I certainly agree that I have only relatively recently got to grips with the crisis in western obesity and I don't apologise for bringing it to peoples attention. It kills millions prematurely.

Most have never bothered to even think about the subject. However, once one has been given the nod, it is stunningly trivial to do some goggling and really discover the extent of the problem.

say "us obesity crisis"

I agree, that there are also some doctors in denial as well. There is certainly no incentive for fast food chains to highlight the fact that they encourage people to eat twice the calories that they need in a day. Nor is there any incentive for food manufactures to stop putting sugar in say, savoury products like peanut butter to get more people to buy it.

Supermarkets are stuffed to the brim with cakes, sweets, chocolate, cookies,

50% sugar cereals for kids, and you say it has nothing to do with food, its all genetics or "I have big bones" Yeah. Right.

-- Kevin Aylward

- SuperSpice

Kevin Aylward

It's already bit late to make a national fuss about it now, yeah? Telcos were fairly careful about how they worded their advertisements, and for whatever reason, for the better part of two decades, consumers seemed to think that what they were being sold was something different than it actually was. The telcos argue that what they were selling was simply the last-mile connection to their network, not the ability to access any site, anywhere, anytime, at some arbitrarily high X Mbps connection speed.

They couldn't possibly do the latter without some kind of traffic-shaping, they just don't have the infrastructure in place to accommodate that level of traffic over the last mile, because it wasn't required to support the product which they were selling.

Frankly I gotta say after thinking it over I find their position has a certain validity; they sold a product, the consumer for the most part accepted it as it was, and now as demand for bandwidth skyrockets to the heavens simply as a matter of scarce-resource allocation I don't see that they have much choice but to play favorites.

It was the logical outcome of the consumer's taciturn acceptance of the product they were sold. If the consumer had wanted something different, then the consumer needed to start demanding something different. 20 years ago.

Reply to
bitrex

This sounds like BS. I remember years ago, back when cable was new here, it would get congested many evenings, as everyone in the neighborhood came home and did whatever they were doing. Mind this was before video streaming was a thing (YouTube was, what, 2003?), and probably coincident with the widespread rollout of digital cable boxes.

That sounds like "last mile" to me. If you mean something different, in terms of infrastructure or traffic patterns, I don't know.

I haven't seen neighborhood scale congestion in a long time. Presumably because they improved their infrastructure to the point where most internet traffic always runs smoothly.

Soon with the exception of streaming videos that compete with their entertainment bundle.

There is no technical reason to discriminate. Typical tests show my connection, for example, is more than capable of sustaining multiple file downloads and streams, simultaneously.

Even if that were a large burden on their backbone (which it would, because they sell based on peak, not guaranteed average, speeds; such activity would unfairly impact my neighbors, and if everyone were doing that at the same time, there would be congestion), the fact is, they have that bandwidth available, specifically for their own needs at the very minimum -- that is, streaming their own authorized content to set top boxes.

So the only way they can compete is to create an artificial barrier, discriminating based on traffic location, an anti-consumer action.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Tim Williams

Certainly. There are many things that cause electrical malfunctions but chemistry is usually a temporary issue and if not is easily discovered and corrected. Coronary artery disease is very high on the list and I'm well down that road already. I've had the CABG/MAZE and three catheter ablations and six cardioversions (two as part of "failed" ablations). The last ablation (two weeks ago) didn't do much (according to the electophysiologist). Drugs were working but were causing dangerous side effects. If this ablation doesn't work (and the electrophysiologist doesn't think it will), the next step is likely drugs with a pacemaker to mitigate those side effects.

Reply to
krw