OT: - autism spectrum disorders look like accumulations of genetic defects?

Another paper from PNAS. It's thoroughly off-topic, but calling people autistic is a fairly popular mode of abuse here, if more with the ill-informed.

In this case the full text is available. Jurb probably won't be able to follow it.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I haven't seen a post from PA in ages.

Reply to
nub12

Kind of old news.

I worry about the notion that anything on the spectrum is "bad" and is caused by "bad genes". Because in a few years we'll be able to wash that sort of thing out of the genome, and if we did it too comprehensively there'd be no engineers any more -- just stylishly dressed salespeople who routinely cheat on their spouses.

Of course, they'll all be selling _used_ stuff to one another, because no one will be quietly retreating from the herd to actually _build_ anything new.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I'm looking for work -- see my website!
Reply to
Tim Wescott

+1. It's not just engineers either, some of these people innovate & create in lots of areas.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

You can look at it this way, there will also be a Democrat in office!

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

You don't actually have to have any autism spectrum disorders to be an engi neer. Preferring working with predictable and consistent things to working with erratic people may merely be a matter of taste, or of having been brou ght up by particularly predictable and consistent parents.

Good engineers tend to be team players, and the difficulties with social in teractions that seem to characterise autism spectrum disorders don't help c onstructive team-building behavior.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I wonder why Jamie thinks that? Politics is that last place you'd ever see anybody with a problem with social interactions, so the chance of seeing anybody with an autism spectrum disorder running for any kind of public office seems exceedingly remote.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Google "Ron Wyden". He's a very effective senator, and a nerd to the core.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com

I'm looking for work -- see my website!
Reply to
Tim Wescott

He might be a nerd, but nothing in his Wikipedia profile suggests autism spectrum disorders. People with autism spectrum disorders may become nerds, but my feeling is that you don't need to bad at social interactions to be a nerd.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to