Is this possible?

It looks like an AA battery rated at 6000mAh and you get 2 of them with charger for $13. 6 amp hours seems over-rated to me.

Reply to
billbowden10

The one and two star reviewers agree with you.

George h.

Reply to
George Herold

Maybe 1000-2000 max. Maybe peak current is 6000mA!

TTman

It does say 'Not AA' several times. 18650 i6 18mm diameter, 65mm long.

But the capacity is probably exaggerated, they normally are.

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

Check Ebay reviews, I found this, "I fully charged the batteries using the charger then ran a capacity test on one of them. Using a constant current load of 1/10C (500mA) for a theoretical 6000mAh cell, the total battery capacity came out to roughly 1200mAh with a test termination voltage of 3.0 volts."

10 batteries for $9.99, free shipping.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote on 12/11/2017 9:32 AM:

It's not an AA cell. Its a 18650 form factor cell. From the listing...

"4 X 6000mAh Li-ion 18650 3.7V Rechargeable Battery (NOT AA or AAA Battery)"

That said, I don't think 18650 cells are typically 6000 mAh. More like 3000 I believe.

--
Rick C

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
rickman

None are.

You can get 3600mAh from the best, Panasonic NCRs. They recently improved from 3400. But even if you seek them out, you'll probably still get fakes from China.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

A few years ago I bought some 18650 lithium cells that were advertised as

3600 mAH. I measured one of them to be just a bit more than 1000. I think even the best cells are like 2500-3000. Vendors on eBay, mostly from China, seem to keep jacking up the claimed capacity. I contacted the vendor and received a partial refund. The test results:

Paul

Reply to
P E Schoen

Some interesting stuff here...

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

I found a similar review a few years ago. It's from 2012 but may still apply, although it looks like some vendors are shamelessly claiming up to

12,000 mAH while actual capacity might be as low as 554!

Paul

Reply to
P E Schoen

The Sony LiFePO4 18650 cells we were looking at using are specified at

2200mAH (nominal voltage 3.2V).
Reply to
krw

You obviously haven't tried starting a car a -40C. It can take more than 10-20 seconds and may draw a lot more than 200A. In warm weather, it shouldn't take five seconds to start a modern car (and a lot less current).

Reply to
krw

Yeah I got some Eilong 18650 batts advertised as 9900 mah. Test out to just under 900 mah. Ha. Maybe they got the decimal wrong.

3400 seems to be the max for good quality ones . Panasonic units check out as about 3000 mah. I use a balance charger. They seem to have pretty low self discharge even better than the low self discharge NiMh eneloop units.
Reply to
Ingvald44

It's not an AA sized 14500 but a larger 18650. but yeah 6000 is probably mostly puff, I'd not expect much more than half the claimed capacity.

Jasen Betts

some dude on you tube disconnected the car battery and the started the V8 with a lithium pack, dunno how.

Jasen Betts

Sheesh, I thought I showed someone with the same battery, test it and find it is a 1200mah battery. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

No, its not (yet) possible to get 6000 mAh into an 18650. They are simply lying and getting away with it. I have seen 9900 mAh claimed.

There are several Youtube videos showing people cutting open cheap cells with fantasy capacity rating. Some of them contain a tiny LiPo cell and the rest is filled with sand.

The problem is that 99% of customers have no clue how long their flashlight should run on 6000 mAh. As a result, the sellers can claim anything they want and get away with it.

I once bought some 18650s that claimed 4200 mAh. I was hoping to get maybe 2000 mAh. I got around 500-600. I complained to the seller and instantly got my money back and the seller did not want the batteries back. The seller clearly knew that his stuff was worthless.

--
RoRo
Reply to

The Chinese lying? ...and getting away with it? No, that just not possible!

The old D-sized NiCd batteries were C-batteries in a larger wrapper. At least they didn't claim more capacity (but no one reads labels).

+1

And knew it would cost more to have them returned than they were worth.

Reply to
krw