Government mandates rear camera

The government will require rear view cameras on cars it two years. The cost is 2.7 billion dollars, this will save 100 children's lives.

27 million dollars for each life saved each. This assumes that after this change there will be no children run over while backing up.

Is this a worthwhile regulation?

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Having a rear view camera doesn't make you look at it. ...Jim Thompson

AFAIUI, it's not a done deal.

Perhaps. The 2.7bn seems a bit high. If it adds $50-$100 to the cost of a vehicle, and 5.5 million new cars are sold each year in the US, that's probably less than 0.5bn. Most new high end cars have a video screen already, so it shouldn't add very much to them (the camera itself costs only a dollar or two).

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

That's why I added my last sentence. >>This assumes that after this change, there will be no children run >>over while backing up.

Reply to
amdx

Ya, I didn't analyze the numbers, just wrote them as heard on the news. I don't know how many cars will sold with required cameras, or the cost per camera, or how many years were used for the calcs. But I did know it's important, and someone would correct my numbers, or at least question them :-) Mikek

Reply to
amdx

I'd be happy if they'd mandate backup alarms on the damned electric/hybrids. Nearly got run over three times by a Prius that was backing up (3 different times- didn't keep trying to hit me). Geniuses put a backup alarm in the dashboard but it's absolutely silent to the rear of the vehicle. Unless you're directly behind the vehicle, you can't even see the backup light well. The Prius runs full electric in reverse and has the potential to be the ultimate stealth killer. Toyaughta fixit. Oppie

Reply to
Oppie

My 2005 Q45 already has a backup camera. What I find terribly annoying is that I will look around, camera and mirrors and direct view, start backing and some dumb shit (*) will walk right behind my moving car :-(

I'm tempted to add an air horn ;-)

(*) I recently had such a turd who also slapped the trunk of my car. I jumped out and, I'm sure, caused him to leave some brown in his pants ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Who knows? I don't think so -- if you're dumb enough to back over your kid, you'll manage to do it with or without a video camera.

You can add or subtract components of the car, but until you change the nut behind the wheel you still won't completely fix traffic safety.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

It also assumes there are no other benefits *or* costs associated with the change.

Dunno. Once you start down the cost-benefit analysis path, you can rationalize all sorts of wacky "policy".

"She's 85 and broke her hip. Society's never going to recover the monies spent in repairing and rehabilitating her. Spend the money on immunizations for children"

[that was the gist of a debate argument I heard 20 years ago while in europe]

Having only *witnessed* one child being run over in that way, I can say that the backup camera wouldn't have done anything to prevent the (ahem) "accident". OTOH, the child survived the incident so maybe he doesn't count?

Reply to
Don Y

Only a minority of the injuries are fatal.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

There's a vast difference between allowing them on cars and mandating them, though.

Since the real problem is dorks behind the wheel, why don't we mandate that only government employees can drive your car for you?

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

We got a 15-passenger van some years ago, the rear blind spot was big enough to hide a VW Beetle! I built my own rear view system out of a chip camera looking at a mirror to reverse the image and a beach TV up between the sun visors. it worked great.

So, there are some vehicles that DEFINITELY need this. Our Honda Odessy van has one built into the rear-view mirror. It is less critical, but could still be valuable.

There are plenty of sedans and such with good enough rear visibility that I wonder how necessary it is on those cars.

These things would be so cheap if all cars had them, I have great doubt about this 2.7 billion $ figure.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

ssy

Government employees use convex mirrors to see what's behind them, and have for years. See the first item on, for example:

spamtrap1888

You are seeing this the wrong way. Nobody cares about the children :-) Its all about making extra turnover and creating jobs.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

If people back over their own kids its kinda Darwinism. Nature heals itself :-) I still think it would be better to make it more difficult to get a drivers license so people are more aware of what they are doing. From what I see on TV getting a drivers in the US is a complete joke compared to where I live.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Also, more insurance guaranteeing that not a single $2,500 Tata Nano will ever be sold in the USofA.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

No! Make it mandatory that all vehicles will be self-driving, causing a huge influx of tech dollars to create and certify the necessary equipment, and thereby removing the one real obstical to self driving vehicles - insurance and liability!

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

Certainly. We'll make million$.

Reply to
krw

(snip)

(more snip)

$0.5B p.a., but maybe that $2.7B was total, not annual?

Reply to
who where

Carry an eight pound sledgehammer, to remind them to be more careful. Big dents aren't cheap to fix. Neither are the rear windows. ;-)

Michael A. Terrell