Government mandates rear camera

So the USofA will only last another 5 years? Maybe...

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Sales are more in the 10-13 million a year range.

Cheers,
James Arthur
Reply to
dagmargoodboat

It is not just the lives you save, but the dents you prevent. I have a camera and "sonar". Damn good stuff.

Once in a while I will be backing out and the sonar goes off because some asshat decided to zoom past me as I'm moving.

Reply to
miso

The planet is over-populated as it is. So, if the back-up camera comes with a targeting graticule, then I'm all for it. :)

I'm sure this idea has plenty of unintended consequences. For example, how many veterinarians will this put out of work for fewer folks running over Fido? Will the cameras be operational in drive? Will this add to distracted driving. Will camera encourage young drivers to drive everywhere in reverse? Will objects in camera be any closer than they appear?

Reply to
mpm

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

True, but then, only a minority of children are run over by a car in reverse to begin with...

Reply to
mpm

Forget the back-up cam - They SHOULD put a camera on the dashboard - facing the driver.!! Only then we will really see the stupid things people do while driving:

Texting, reading books or magazines, applying makeup, eating lunch, watching DVD's, etc...

Reply to
mpm

And the fatalities usually result in death.

Reply to
Dennis

Depends on November - it could be a lot less.

Reply to
who where

Absolutely! Since very few people pay taxes and the government is printing money like there was no tomorrow, this mandate converts some of that funny money into real products!

Reply to
Robert Baer

Just re-aim your rear window washer nozzle to spray anyone stupid enough to loiter behind a starting car.

-- Paul Hovnanian mailto: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com

2 + 2 = 5 for extremely large values of 2.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

The problem with the screen, it should still make you look back. You get two views.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

For the winter, I let my beard grow out. Weird looking guy with long white beard carrying an 8 Lb sledge in a parking lot would definitely be among the list of usual suspects. It's past the season where folks say "Santa?"

Reply to
Oppie

You never know. One of my more enjoyable moments: In the grocery store wandering around, at Christmas time, a little black kid points at me and says, "Ho! Ho! Ho!"

(I do look like Santa if I don't keep it cut back ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Take a look at the 'People of Walmart' website and tell me that you would look out of place. :)

Michael A. Terrell

The cameras only work in reverse. I wish I could hack mine and make it work in drive.

Mine has a graticule to aid in getting close enough to the curb when parallel parking.

Reply to
miso

The

this

=20

Whaddya mean? Here in Kalifornica the tests are so tough that you have = to prove you can walk and chew gum at the same time. And there are plenty = of people that can't pass the test. >;-P)

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

How hard can it be? The camera is connected to the backup lights for control. Find that wire and connect it to a 12 volt circuit controlled by the ignition switch. There should be an auxiliary circuit in the fuse block, or the radio circuit could be used.

Michael A. Terrell

That's not how they work. There's a uP that chooses from a variety of sources to the dash display, in my car: navigation, Sirius, FM, AM, CD, tape, heating/cooling, mileage computer, low tire, maintenance warnings, set-ups for everything (voice, brightness, contrast, etc.)... I'm sure I missed something; and I can choose something else while backing... which is unsafe, but it works that way. ...Jim Thompson

Mine works as described, and so did the one on my dad's motorhome. In fact, the power wire ran directly to a backup light. Mine was aftermarket, though. You can buy them dirt chaep on Ebay these days

Michael A. Terrell

I wish mine could be configured that way... so I could watch for closing cop cars ;-) ...Jim Thompson