FY 2019 budget requests shutdown of NIST time stations

<https://swling.com/blog/2018/08/nist-fy2019-budget-includes-request-to-shutdown-wwv-and-wwvh/

there's probably some kind of communist propaganda encoded in all those
boops

Re: FY 2019 budget requests shutdown of NIST time stations

there's a lot of commercial and financial potential in the amateur radio
bands that's not being utilized frankly, I don't see why they don't just
do the logical thing and remove FCC jurisdiction over those bands
entirely and revoke all the licenses for this obsolete technology.

Re: FY 2019 budget requests shutdown of NIST time stations

Yes, you are right.  You don't see.

Rick C.

Re: FY 2019 budget requests shutdown of NIST time stations

What's wrong with Facebook Messenger or WhatsApp to chat?

Re: FY 2019 budget requests shutdown of NIST time stations

Cell phones. Email. GPS for frequency.

Ham radio, and WWV, are pretty much obsolete.

Re: FY 2019 budget requests shutdown of NIST time stations

When the power goes out for an extended period, the cell phones will only
last about 4 hours or less. The Internet even less. Hams generally are
prepared for that sort of thing.

We should see what happens this Friday on the central East coast.

Re: FY 2019 budget requests shutdown of NIST time stations

Yeah like those guys who like to drive around in pickups with five whip
antennas on them and a bunch of yellow beacons and strobes and "CIVILIAN
EMERGENCY RESPONSE" decals like they're a somebody.

Re: FY 2019 budget requests shutdown of NIST time stations

Back in 2009, somebody cut a couple of fiber-optic cables in San Jose
CA during the wee hours of the morning.  This wiped out essentially
all telephone-call capability in the whole south half of the county
for most of the day... landlines and cellphones were both down, as
were most Internet connections.

The only comms that kept working reliably were various forms of land
mobile radio (police, fire, and some business-band), and ham radio.
The local ham emergency-communications teams were mobilized out to
police and fire stations, major road intersections, and the city EOCs.
I spent the afternoon at a church parking lot near a major road down
from the hills, with a big "Emergency communication" banner up, in
case somebody came screaming down the slope to report a fire or
illness or accident (none happened, fortunately;  we were very lucky
that day, that nobody died as the result of an inability to phone for
help when they needed it).

It wasn't until around 5 PM that the phone systems began to come back
up.

Re: FY 2019 budget requests shutdown of NIST time stations
On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 15:31:48 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@coop.radagast.org (Dave

None of the emergency folks have satellite phones?

Re: FY 2019 budget requests shutdown of NIST time stations

Not a lot.  I believe that the various city and county comm vans are
probably equipped, but they're a very limited resource - good for
coordinating between jurisdictions, and perhaps for the individual
incident command staff personnel, but there aren't/weren't enough for
a large number of people to be supplied with them.

Re: FY 2019 budget requests shutdown of NIST time stations

Even if they did, who would be able to call them?

Rick C.

Re: FY 2019 budget requests shutdown of NIST time stations
On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 15:31:48 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@coop.radagast.org (Dave

There are a LOT of hams that enjoy the hobby worldwide.  It is FAR
from obsolete.  This is easy to see if you aren't sticking your head
in the sand.

 The lower frequencies below 30 MHz aren't worth  the big giga-bucks
that VHF and higher are.

Re: FY 2019 budget requests shutdown of NIST time stations
t-to-shutdown-wwv-and-wwvh/>

I don't know how bad this storm will be, certainly the coastal areas are go
ing to be hit hard.  But Florence may be another Harvey dumping feet of wat
er over inland areas.  Up this way (central Maryland) they've already had a
 bunch of water from the previous storm and have lots of flooding now.  If
Florence moves up to that area any time in the next week it will be very ba
d indeed.

Rick C.

Re: FY 2019 budget requests shutdown of NIST time stations

Pat Robertson is praying for protection. If his magic spell doesn't work
I wonder if he'll claim it was because the Carolinas are being punished
for being gay. I'm guessing not.

Re: FY 2019 budget requests shutdown of NIST time stations

one of those hobbies that apparently every one who designs electronics
is supposed to have been into that I guess I missed out on. PCs,
modems/Internet and model rockets were way more fun than listening to
old fuddie-duddies blather on about their "rig" in-between blasts of
atmospheric interference. Plus there were girls on the Internet

Re: FY 2019 budget requests shutdown of NIST time stations

Right. Ham blather always seemed boring to me. CW even stranger.

Not many girls were hams.

Re: FY 2019 budget requests shutdown of NIST time stations

You must be very young, in my school days there were no PCs, modems, there was no internet.
rockets there were, but the 'tronics was way too heavy, girls there were tough, but sex 24/7
is only for a few I guess, many other interesting things such as cars. no drugs either!
Radio was cool. Music, school band, tape recorders...

This generation running after pokemon living in a virtual world that you can just unplug, worse than the matrix ;-)

hehe
:-)

Re: FY 2019 budget requests shutdown of NIST time stations

I'm pushing 40! I have grey in my beard, drink tea and fall asleep at
9:30 PM!

Re: FY 2019 budget requests shutdown of NIST time stations

It's nearly the year 2020 remember, I never even legally bought a drink
in a bar until the 21st century.

Re: FY 2019 budget requests shutdown of NIST time stations

Yes, very young, I am heading towards 75, sometimes only get 4 hours sleep,
just did a multi-city biking trip (just back and had some food and ice-cream),
play with 'pick-a-second' pulses, and all sorts of 'tronix...
hardly any grey hair (red), program  all sorts of stuff in asm and C,
nice weather today!
Have to go out and try the modified LNB if it stays that way,
hope the F and F to SMA connectors come in soon.

Site Timeline