NIST closed

Due to a lapse in government funding, the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) is closed and most NIST and affiliated web sites are unavailable until further notice. We sincerely regret the inconvenience. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

So we are being punished for something we did not do, other than exercising our rights to vote.

Is that what it amounts to? It is ridiculous, childish, and worse.

I will vote for no incumbent in the next several elections.

Reply to
John S

Not enough red state presence to be called back to work like that other bunch of worthless overpaid parasites....

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

But I can still sync to a NIST time source.

Martin Riddle

I listen to science360 on my internet radio. I wanted to listen while I cleaned my shed.

Due to the lapse in government funding, National Science Foundation websites and business applications, including NSF.gov. FastLane, Research.gov, and Science360.gov, will be unavailable until further notice. We sincerely regret this inconvenience.

Do they sincerely regret or are they inflicting maximum pain. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Why wouldn't they close NIST? They closed the CDC.

Reply to
krw

The Tea Baggers are now the new: Political Terrorists

Boehner and the GOP are held hostage by a handful of Right Wing crack pots.

At least al-Qaeda members we can shoot.

Reply to
hamilton

Why have they promised to pay the federal workers back pay, if they are getting paid they might as well work. It doesn't save hardworking taxpayer money to furlough them and then pay them. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Well the site might down, and then what? oh! I guess it'd be the same. :-) Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Why the websites? Takes no manpower,only server power.

Reply to
Robert Baer

in principle they could have turned off the servers and changed the DNS so all the closed sites point to a single server serving "we're closed pages"

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

The shutdown has nothing to do with saving money. The backpay bit is the GO P trying to escape out from under being accused of slowing down the economy by holding back a billion dollar weekly for fed employee pay. This ought t o be a wake-up call: a substantial portion of the U.S. economy is criticall y dependent on the government spending money it does not have, and they're coming up to the fiscal cliff faster than they know.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

What's wrong with NOT letting this crisis go to waste and save the hardworking taxpayers some money for these non essential nonworkers? I like to see how long we could go without 800,000 non essential workers. 40% of the government gone yahoo! Mikek

Reply to
amdx

For the same reason they allow government workers to unionize. It's a big voting block and they spend big bux on elections and lobbyists.

It'll cost more but that isn't the point.

Reply to
krw

If they're non-essential, what are they doing working for the federal government in the first place?

Reply to
krw

WWV also appears to be alive as well as NOAA weather radio.

Is WWV essential ?

boB

Reply to
boB

Yes !!

My weather clock would not know that its Monday.

;-)

Reply to
hamilton

You do understand the U.S. government is spending each ***month*** $30B more than it takes in. And you think shutdown is a bad thing, well, there's coming a time when the shutdown will be permanent if they don't get on the ball.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

It's welfare. No one else would hire them.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I don't know about that. There are still some union jobs around. They could become teachers.

Reply to
krw