over-temperature shutdown

Hi, I wanted to find more information about a typical over-temperature shutdown circuitry using bjts or diodes..tried googling it, but did not come up with anything substantial..could anyone give a rough idea of what such a circuit would consist of?

thanks! vishwa

Reply to
vishwa

It's simple.

Vbe of a bjt has a typical temperature coefficient of - 2 ~ 2.2 mV / degree C.

I guess a diode is similar but I always use transistors.

You pass a current through the device - measure Vbe and use a comparator to detect your cutoff temperature. May require calibration but I found devices to be adequately repeatable not to need this.

I gather this is how your PC motherboards measures CPU temp in some designs too ( I think there's a diode junction buried in the processor chip specifically to measure temp ).

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

The LM87 is a complex chip with many functions and seemingly thousands of programming registers, and no doubt includes a kitchen sink in there some place. The elegant kT/q bias-current-ratio trick is attractive and worth employing for temperature measurement problems, but a more simple kT/q chip is called for. NSC's LM82, LM83 or LM84 are candidates.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

They measure the difference in Vbe at two different current densities (typically with a 10:1 ratio). This causes many of the paramaters in the I vs Vbe relation to cancel, eliminating the need for calibration.

Of course, there are commonly available chips that do this. See, e.g. LM87, etc.

Regards, Allan

Reply to
Allan Herriman

In article , Winfield Hill wrote: [....]

A couple of silly thoughts:

(1) You can get thermostats in TO-220 packages.

(2) If you use a PTC thermistor in a RC clock circuit, you can have the clock slow down as the temperature goes up.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith