FireFox problem

Both Jeff and I asked but, as yet, we don't know the OS, version of OS, or version of Firefox that Baer is using.

Is Baer on Windows XP? Is Baer back on version 12 of Firefox?

Reply to
VanguardLH

I don't know. I don't even know who Baer is. Ask someone else.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

Thanks. Leave the W2K machine dead and buried. Do your XP and Win 7 machines have all the latest updates, or have you stopped accepting updates at some point in the past? Also, when asked for the Firefox version, please do not truncated the version number. In the URL box: about: will provide the full version number.

Also, I forgot to ask you for the encryption key that you used to convert the error message into useless gibberish. Could you provide the key or possibly the original unencrypted error message? If possible, try to determine if the message is coming from Firefox, or from an extension or plug-in.

Offhand, based on your list of affected web sites, it kinda looks like something is blocking cross site scripting, probably pointing to advertising sites that are trying to play videos and animations. That's what I would expect from an ad-blocker or similar security software. Could I trouble you to inspect your list of extension and disclose the names of any such ad-blocking extensions? In the URL box: about:addons and then select: extensions

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Oops. Wrong end. It should be a freshman course in the first semester.

Unfortunately, freshman is out. It is being changed to first year. Other changes are begin made to remove men from the vocabulary. For example,

Dairymen, freshmen and even penmanship also will soon be things of the past, replaced by "dairy farmers, first-year students" and "handwriting."

Phrases like "man's past" change to "humankind's past". (Still has man in it)

penmanship-11-22-2015

You can see where this is going. New graduates will be shocked when they join companies, and demand all the references to man be removed from the company documentation. Won't that be fun.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

I found a line in about:config which corresponds to the Preference described above.

accessibility.blockautorefresh ; user set ; boolean ; true

That line is present only when "Warn me when websites try to redirect or reload the page" is checked.

When I uncheck that Preference, the line is gone. You might try adding it to about:config and setting it to false.

Reply to
accountholder

This could turn out to be a problem. Femail could end up as fe. Woman could end up as wo. A document could end up sounding like a musical. Victor Borge showed what it would sound like:

Steve Wilson

Oh, that. I'm crushed. I thought you wanted to know about my learning philosophy. Sigh.

No magic in searching, but I do have a few tricks.

I can find things by pictures much faster and better than I can reading the text. I picture is worth 1000 words, literally. So, I do a Google image search on the topic and look for a picture of something that looks close.

Many web pages are nothing more than summaries and commentary on other web pages. Often, the chain is 3 or more links away. I always try to find the original source, which very often provide more additional information that was trimmed by the commentators and pundits to make it more digestible by their audience, or to be closer to whatever agenda they are pushing. In many cases, the conclusions drawn by the commentators are quite different from what the original source presents.

Knowing the buzzwords technical is mandatory for decent searching. When I dive into unfamiliar territory, I make it a point of excavating as many relevant terms, acronyms, and abbrev as possible. The actual search is done in Big Endian style first. I start with just the major terms, and add additional detailed terms to narrow down the search. I rarely have to go beyond the 2nd page (at 50 hits per page).

Once I find something, it's a bit tricky to provide a working URL. I've taken the time to decode how Google, Amazon, eBay and others assemble URL's. Most of the garbage is tracking information, which can be deleted. The result is very short URL, without tracking garbage.

Google also has some search shortcuts worth learning: For example, finding things in my messy web pile is becoming difficult. So, I let Google do the work by searching for: site:802.11junk.com junk Lots of others like link, patent, zip code, phone number, weather, etc searches.

Lots of other searches, but if I don't stop now, I'll be late for a free lunch. Questions answered and more detail supplied on request.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Yes, please.

Very important information. Thanks.

Sorry to appear disinterested in your learning philosophy. I had already saved it for future study.

Everything you say can turn out to be important, whether it is today or a year from now. I save your posts automatically without question. Nobody else gets that treatment.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

When I attended Cal Poly Pomona during the late 1960's, the Skool of Engineering had not yet been accredited. I received what I consider to have been an excellent education, with a large percentage of electronic and electrical classes and labs. A few years after they graduated me, the skool became accredited. Gone were the technical classes, to be replaced by classes such as the one you're suggesting. I suggest you reconsider your suggestion, especially since there are many other topics that have vested interests promoting their inclusion into the curriculum.

The politically correct method is to replace "man" or "men" with "person", "people", or other gender neutral term. Some common conversions: his/her -> their man hole cover -> person hole cover freshman -> freshperson dairymen -> dairypeople penmanship -> penpersonship man hours -> person hours policeman -> police officer chairman -> chairperson mankind -> humanity man made -> made by humans the common man -> the average person manufacture -> make

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Firefox 52.6 and 52.7, WinXP SP3

EVERY time, without fail, when a site needs to redirect (eg: bank sites, PayPal, Amtrak, etc), a pesky bar pops up complaining, "FireFox prevented this page from automatically redirecting to another page ALLOW X"

How can this be fixed?

Thanks.

Reply to
Robert Baer

There are solutions here, the old solution probably applies to yours. The newer solution (for FF56) requires a trip to about:config as the GUI setting got removed or something.

Basically, you want this preference turned *off* .

"Warn me when websites try to redirect or reload the page"

HTH, Paul

Reply to
Paul

Groan. I was hoping you wouldn't ask. I'll add a little here and there as time permits.

I'm honored, but I really do make quite a few mistakes. Please don't treat anything I write as unquestionable truth. Double check.

Here are some more Google search operators:

Advanced Image Search:

I'm constantly using F to do a "find text" search after landing on a web page. The term I was searching for is probably there, I just don't see it immediately. So, I do a "find text" search for the term.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Very good. Thanks!

Always. But you give a good starting point. Although some of the stuff you have come up with, I was never able to duplicate. That's the trick I'm trying to learn.

Thanks, I use those. Another good one is converting units. Entering 1 cup in litres gives

1 us customary cup = 0.237 litre

Works in DuckDuck also

That is my main entry page. Very useful.

Also, patent search allows you to search for prior art

Map search is obvious

Thanks. I've hear of that one but never tried it.

I use forward slash in FF12

Reply to
Steve Wilson

Others have already answered your question, but in case you want the answer from 18,500 additional sources, see:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Do you mean you can't duplicate the way I found something, or failed to find something twice? Or, are you referring to my chemistry experiments?

I use the regular image search most often:

Forward slash is "Quick Find" while F is "Find in Page". They're quite different:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I can't duplicate the way you found something. That is pure magic. It is worth a fortune.

I also fail to find the same thing twice. The first time, I may not think it's important. Then I discover I really need it bad. I can never find it again.

Now I always save the search history. Here's an example. Sorry for the wrap.

Mar 25, 2018

60 GHz attenuators

20Attenuators.pdf
Datasheet-0.pdf
pdf_1/RSC_dat-sw_en.pdf
attenuator/
Datasheet-0_0.pdf

If I do any more searches and find new things, I can tack the new history on the end of the previous one. Later, if I find if something is really important, I can add a comment to show this link is valuable.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

You can inspect, but not download, your browsing history from: or:

You can download most everything else (except browsing history) from Google Takeout:

Well maybe it's there. In Google Takeout, select: My Activity -> select specific activity data -> Activity Data -> Search Might as well try it... Yep, it works. I downloaded 80MBytes of URL's in HTML format. Looks like everything I did for the last 5 years is there.

In Firefox, it's easiest to search the browsing history is by setting the sort order to: H View -> By last visited and stuffing the search term into the search box.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

For some reason, Baer decided that meta-refresh cannot possibly be the cause of the redirection block despite that's what the don't redirect option or the blockautorefresh setting on about:config are for. I already gave similar forum threads on changing the redirect option or going into about:config to change the blockautorefresh setting. Which method depends on the version of Firefox. His response was that meta-refresh was "not relevant".

The redirect option in the GUI config page disappeared in FF56; however, Baer is using earlier Firefox versions so the GUI config page will have the redirect option that he can change. Still waiting for Baer to change the setting, clear all of Firefox's local data, disable all extensions, exit Firefox, reload Firefox, and retest at the problematic site(s).

Reply to
VanguardLH

Yes, I found that some time ago. Hugely slow, not really useful. Can lock up my browser.

I got 9 megabytes of Youtube video links.

I rarely use Google to search. My main search engine is DuckDuckGo.

Problem is I don't know what I'm looking for. When I save the history, I have a permanent record on file. I can combine it with later searches to increase the coverage.

I delete the browsing history frequently. In Firefox 12 and Pale Moon, it's Ctrl-Shift-Del. That way I keep general browsing separated from focused searches.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

+1e9.

Rule of thumb: if it needs "security updates" it never was secure, and never will be.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat