What Every Handyman Needs

At first it looks like just a graphical enhancement of the typical stud finder, until you get to the part about the depth reading. Then the price tag suggests it's more, it's definitely sounding the material:

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Available stand-alone? I refuse to own a "smart" phone.

Could be quite useful... I just spent a few hours with a regular stud finder plus a bunch of magnets to map a stud field so as to optimize hanging four decorative mirror panels whose mounts were on 36" centers :-( ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

So buy a cheap phone and don't put a SIM in it. You can get apps over WiFi when you need to.

Then continue to use your old phone for calls.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Was just thinking the same, it's not gonna work with my 13 year old Moto razr. It'll be obsolete in 5 to 10 years if you pair it with a phone.

Martin Riddle

Seems so, though the site is really poor. I use a "FLIR One" at work, a FLIR camera that uses a cell phone. It's *very* useful, particularly since you can get a visual and IR image. Smart phones are incredibly useful.

I have several smart phones but I'd need to know a lot more about this thing before putting out that sort of money.

Reply to
krw

Studs are the easier ones, it's the wiring I'm more concerned about. These days they're using a lot of those within the wall Tyco splice connectors that somehow got NEC approval.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Wiring's not hard to find with a CMOS detector, as long as it's live.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Even if it's 3 inches deep in the wall, like you have with 6-inch stud or double stud construction?

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Be sure the USB port can supply power and host a memory device.

Reply to
tom

Teardown & demo video. Interesting.

Reply to
Trumble

IIRC mine detected around twice that distance, but I've not used it in years. I just don't need it. It's a homemade thing with a couple of square inches of copper clad FR4 for a detection plate, followed by a chain of CMOS inverters.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

you should consider an Android (non Apple) smart phone without a data plan.

no fees and still a very useful device

makolber

I hope they've improved since his demo, it's worthless for locating objects in the wall if it can't even get the orientation right.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred