FireFox problem

Those don't work. Person contains the word 'son'--obvious sexism there-- and 'humanity' includes 'man.'

But given that chicks live years longer than dudes, who's really been getting the short end of the stick all these centuries?

Personally, I feel oppressed.

Grins, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Practically nothing was ever secure. Or will ever be, until we get a new computing architecture and OS.

I hated XP. It was always crashing, or developing memory leaks, or going away for seconds at a time. Its only small virtue was that it ran ancient DOS programs.

I'm running 59.0.1, 64 bit. Fox keeps getting better, and faster.

Did FF12 even have tabs? Does it support modern web pages and video standards?

I did have to learn a bit about the userchrome thing, to color my tabs to make them more visible.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Women are so wonderful, I'm glad I'm not one.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

I usually download the files because things disappear. I actually don't use FF to do this because it gets them in WEBM format which is bigger and spec ific to FF, so I have to convert them to MP4 which I prefer. So I use IE to get them and they come already in MP4 format, it is smaller and pretty muc h universal.

Of course this means I have gigs of files instead of megs of links, but tha t is fine with me. I forgot how many drives I have in the beast downstairs. I got space. Now all I have to do is get it back on the network, running u p and down the stairs with a flashdrive is wearing my knees to the bone.

Reply to
jurb6006

going away for seconds at a time. Its only small virtue was that it ran ancient DOS programs. "

You had other problems then. Did you upgrade the OS ? Never do that, what came with it is what belongs on it.

Mine still runs like lightning and only reboots when there is a power outage. But then it is running on a system that could easily take Win 7. I'm lucky it has drivers for XP on the disk.

Reply to
jurb6006

Firefox seems determined to kill the most valuable feature, which is extensions. They keep changing the interface, and authors get tired of wasting their time updating their work, so they quit. The latest versions of FirerFox obsoleted all previous extensions, so they have to be rewritten and you have to keep reinstalling them.

The extensions for FF12 are no longer available. They work well, and I don't have to worry about wasting time having to update them.

As far as I can tell, you need tabs on Win7 since it doesn't put new windows along the task bar. XP does, so tabs are redundant. I use one of my extensions called Tab Killer to kill tabbed browsing.

Modern web pages are mostly eye candy. I turn off javascript to kill most of the junk and speed page loads. Some sites go nuts with CSS, so I turn it off so I can read the page. Some sites pop up a registration window that won't let go until you give them an email address. I simply turn off CSS which kills the window. I use Ad Blocker which is very efective at killing ads. It is not available on later versions of Firefox.

Video on a lot of pages is a waste of time. If it's not on Youtube, I'm not interested.

I have FF47 on Win7. It is slow and sluggish, and I can't find any extensions like the ones I use on XP. So I'm not interested in newer versions of Firefox, or running on Win7 or later. I'm very happy with FF12 on XP. It's fast and very stable.

These days, none of the extensions are available on Mozilla. The only way you could get them is if I send you a copy of my .VDI file. But you would need VirtualBox 4.04 to run it.

So you will never know what you are missing.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

Having run Netscape and FF since day 1, on every available Microsoft OS up to Win7, I really like Win7 and FF 59. It's fast and just works.

Web pages are getting more annoying. Turning off notifications and some other stuff helps.

I really like tabs.

I sure don;t want to waste time messing with VMs and tweaking my OS.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Oops - version 4.3.36. I ran 4.04 for years, but then I found 4.3 had a significant advantage. I can clone an existing VDI to make an identical copy, then change it as needed to perform a different function. Great stuff. I pity the people who are stuck on Windows as their only OS.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

I still use Netscape 2.02 to manage my bookmarks.

No tweaking XP is needed. I install it once, remove all the unneeded crap like LAN support, get the fonts set up, and that's it. I haven't touched it in years.

No messing with VMs. Install it once, and never touch it again.

I also run Win7. Compared to XP, it is slow and sluggish. I rarely use it.

With Windows, if you have a major disaster, you have to reinstall. I just copy the VDI from the backup. Takes only seconds, and I get a byte- identical copy of the original. I can even send it to other of my computers, and they get a byte-identical copy.

You cannot do that with Windows.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

+1, and including all versions of OS/2
+2

+3

+4 It's a tool. I have work to do. I don't want to be screwing around with the tools.
Reply to
krw

Tough! You're an old white male. Shuddup!

Reply to
krw

I figured out how to make the active tab yellow. I'm proud of myself!

Everything these days, including houses and cars, is just so grey.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

The default is gray and the default active is the reverse, so it works. How did you change it?

My car and truck are red. The house is red (brick) on the front and yellow (hardi-plank) on three sides. My television is color, too. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Pick up this text file userchrome.css and plop it where it says. If the chrome folder doesn't exist, create it.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Well, since Zimmerman was a 'white Hispanic' I guess they'd tag me a 'white Native American' (certainly more so than Fauxcahontas), and I'm not old (but hope to be some day).

More self-importantly, today I'm self-identifying as a polka-dotted llama, and who are you to say different?

Now stop it before I get triggered by your llamaphobic microaggressions.

Grins, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Try my userchrome thing, posted above. That's the way visual addons have to work now.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

What are the French people going to do? Every object in their language has a sex. Worse, there is le and la but none of the other 19 sexes assigned to things.

How about 'va' ?

 Click to see the full signature

That's even worse! You *want* to be an old white male.

Polka dots are claiming cultural appropriation!

"Triggered"? Isn't that part an evil GUN?

Reply to
krw

That means go. The whole movement will be laughed at in France.

I think Thailand has sexes also. I recall one delightful phrase a girl adds to her sentence. It means "I am a woman."

Reply to
Steve Wilson

German is far worse. If Germany has to change to a gender neutral grammar, they might as well bin the entire language because it's absolutely steeped in masculine, feminine and neuter with all sorts of inter-dependencies that would totally cripple it.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom